Game boxes annoy the f*ck outta me...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Mad_Dog

Voice Of Reason
Mar 27, 2001
Soviet Canuckistan
www.planetunreal.com
I went on a bit of a binge, and bought the Longest Journey and Fallout Tactics this week. Can't wait till after exams to play them, but till then I have to store these big-ass boxes that hold, what? Oh just a jewel case and 20 page manual. :rolleyes: Such a waste of paper and my shelf space. I have two boxes stuffed with every game I own, and a CD shelf for the CDs. All the other boxes went in the recycling. A friend just bought the BG II expansion, and it's in a DVD case with the manual stuck inside. That is a good goddam idea. I hope game companies will soon figure out its cheaper to stick it in a DVD case, and it will make everyone much happier: gamers, store owners and their bottom line.

LifesBane(4Corners)

Sep 27, 1999
come.to
Even these new "smaller" boxes?

B00005N7YR.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I personally hate the small boxes. I want the big hulking massive things that take up half my room-- as long as they are darned pretty. I really like the artistic work and cool designs on some boxes.

Take the Marathon Trilogy for example. Really cool unique sliding side box. Or the big pretty shiny Oni box.

I guess some people like em, some people hate em.

Catalyst

science begets death
Jul 18, 1999
CA, USA
I too think games should come in DVD cases. Boxes just end up taking up space in my closet until one day I decide I don't need them.

Ballistophobia

Hedonistic Forum Panacea
Jul 15, 2000
Middlesex, NJ USA
goatse.cx
Originally posted by LifesBane[4C]
as long as they are darned pretty. I really like the artistic work and cool designs on some boxes.

Take the Marathon Trilogy for example. Really cool unique sliding side box. Or the big pretty shiny Oni box.

Personally, I'd rather pay for the game and game content and not spend unnecessary dough on some fag's artwork that I'll never even notice...

ElectricSheep

Tommy Vegas
May 11, 2000
Newark, DE
Yeah, but the Marathon Trilogy Box set was more a collectors item than another off the shelf game. The vast majority of people who bought the box set <em>already</em> owned all three Marathon games; they were buying the box set for the box and what was inside--most notably the famed Marathon Scrapbook.

I think the original Marathon box design was rather cool. One of the first non-rectangular boxes I had seen in stores, and reported to be the primary reason the game was delayed...

Olethros

Functional alcoholic
Nearly all new games come in DVD boxes here too. I kinda like it, seeing as my attict booth is nearly full of the old game "cartons". But the games still cost the same, though...:mad:

Thank &lt;insert preferred deity&gt; for Morpheus! RTCW is so much cooler when it's free! :D

Gryphon

Apr 2, 2000
Small boxes and tiny manuals suck. Period. I remember when it was sacrilege to include anything but a 100+ page manual in a stylized fancy box. Anyone remember the Falcon 3.0 manual? Or how about the Sudden Death "magazine" included with Strike Commander? That was a cool idea. It seems to be a lost art these days, as target audiences shift from mature 20-year-olds to bratty 13-year-olds with the attention span of a flea. "M4nu4L??? 1 d0nt w4nn4 r34d, r34d1ng si t3h f0 l00z3rz!!!11" :mad:

Mad_Dog

Voice Of Reason
Mar 27, 2001
Soviet Canuckistan
www.planetunreal.com
I'm a firm believer in huge manuals... anyone play F/A-18 Hornet for the mac in the early 90s? Not only was there a manual for the game, but there was also the complete McDonnell Douglas report on the F/A-18, with specs, tactics, etc. More info than you ever needed, but still cool to have. I'm bitching about huge empty boxes.

Mad_Dog

Voice Of Reason
Mar 27, 2001
Soviet Canuckistan
www.planetunreal.com
What about getting free sh<i></i>it when you register your games? Deadly Games, a small Mac game company (dunno if they are still around, I hope so) gave you a quarterly magazine when you registered, with tips, cheaper preorders on new games, high score lists of people who sent their crazy high scores in, interviews, all sorts of crazy stuff. Now do you get anything? I haven't registered a game in years, but I doubt its still up to that level of quality.

FiringAimlessly

NOT going to waste another minute on CS!
Sep 18, 2001
I believe that nothing short of a huge manual can possibly justify any box larger than a CD case.

Well, either that or about 20 floppies from back in the old days when not everyone had a CD-ROM...

Keganator

White as Snow Moderator
Jun 19, 2001
PR's Barracks
www.kegnet.net
Exactly! At least Sid Myer still knows what to do; his manuals for games are alwasy HUGE; look at Alpha Centauri and Civ 3. I remember the first time I opened up a game with NO manual...it was the privateer 'classic' edition. God that pissed me off, no manual...

Goat Fucker

No Future!
Aug 18, 2000
Denmark
Visit site
How hard can it be? make the box to fit the contence, if you need a big manual then make the box thereafter, if there really issent enough manual needed than what can be in the jewel case, then ship the damn thing in a jewel case sized box.

One of the problems i see here is that meny company's dont want to hazzle with different manuals (different languages), so they plop them all into one big manual and ship it out...thats allot of wasted space...why? wouldent it be better to have a smaller box and therefor be able to ship more in one go?

FiringAimlessly

NOT going to waste another minute on CS!
Sep 18, 2001
I say we blame the marketers.

Big => catch eye => sell => bow, puny worm-monkeys, before the almighty baby-eating shrine of Mammon!