Informed Q3A stuff.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

S

Dec 6, 1999
Portsmouth,Hants,England
Visit site
Hi guys.

Have I missed anything exciting on the old forum? I can't be arsed to read the 1000's of postings.

Anyway, someone bought me Q3A for xmas. So I will now add my informed two pence worth (thats about a dime for the Americans).

Q3A is better than UT because:

1. Its very very very quick.
2. It has more people improving it than UT.
3. It has a nice sky effect.
4. The lightning gun looks niffty.
5. Lots more skins and models to use.
6. Better designed close quarter DM levels.
7. It has no nasty taunts.
8. Feels more like an on-line game in single player mode.

Q3A is worse than UT because:
1. Fewer weapons to play with.
2. Doesn't look as polished (yet).
3. UT 'feels' more solid.
4. UT has better CTF levels.
5. UT has a better sniper option.
6. UT has assaault/domination levels.
7. UT requires more skill. Not just more rockets!
8. Q3A is buggy, and the beta patch makes it worse!

At the moment UT is better than Q3A, no question.

However, the amount of work being done my 'you and me' is amazing for Q3A. I feel in 3 months, Q3A may be the better game. (Especially if you like DM and rockets)

One important question, Q3A has FvF2 in the making, Is there anything planned for UT yet??? It really needs it.

S

------------------
For Queen and Country

XxBonesxX

banned
Dec 19, 1999
A grave Yard!
Visit site
As I see it Q3 suxs period!! I just bought it the other day, it took almost 8 hrs to get the damn think going, and after I do get it going looking as good as it will ever get. The damn cd key crap stops me from launching into a server.. UT Is by far the best looking game, as for online play it still need work /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif but atleast I can get to a server with UT Q3 just sits there looking stupid! I give UT 2 thumbs up and Q3 A kick in the a$$ out the door piece of crap game!!

bullet2.gif

Come play in my Graveyard!!!
XxBonesxX

Satsu

Nov 20, 1999
place
Well I like Q3, mainly because it requires some kind of skill to play. You can't just camp on a tower and shoot, you actually have to run around and fight. And I'm glad that there are no stats for Q3 or there would be people running their own servers just to gain stats and feel important. Check out this guy(or maybe girl) "SLUT", last I checked this person never played on anything but their own server and has about 300 kills by camping, evidently just to gain for their stats. I pissed him/her off and got banned, f'ing loser.
http://ut.ngworldstats.com/fcgi-bin/Display?gt=UT&gm=all&uid=273139&page=m&view=p

The UT rocket launcher pisses me off just because it takes too damn long to fire and the speed of the rockets is such that I could run and catch up to them(sarcasm).

Although I personally feel that Q3 is more solidly constructed and that I have better performance on netplay, I think I've spent more time playing Lava Giant and Facing Worlds than I have playing Q3.

So although one game may play better than the other in certain ways or may have better features, it's all personal preference.

SO SHUT UP ABOUT WHICH IS BETTER, ETC!!! /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Yeah, Q3A has nothing speedwise on turbo UT! Nice sky effects?? UT is undisputedly better in its skybox.

Slow Rockets? You must be a Quake1 fan...I think the rocket speed is just right...turn it up and the weapon becomes unbalanced...soon you'll see lots of rocket monkeys on the servers..

As far as the camping in towers and shooting goes I think you'll see that mainly in CTF and Assault. At least on the levels from Epic. That compliments the team aspect of those game types. I don't think you'll see snipers dominating the maps though...and the better players deal effectively with them. It really is just a matter of diversity in the gameplay...something that Q3A doesn't (and doesn't want to)do.

Just my .02 cents

bullet2.gif

Yes, I know I'm full of $I-IiT - but I'm inhuman dammit!

Space Cruz

Dec 29, 1999
Baton Rouge, La, USA
Visit site
Well, Q3A lasted about a weak /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif or so on my hard drive, then I had to jetison it to make room for more UT mods and maps.

I didn't think it ran much faster, but I suppose running around mindlessly on some tiny, outmoded DM goth boards may lend it that illusion. Perhaps I'm just upset that it didn't run very well w/ on my K6 450 and D3D.. I also wasn't very good at it: I can hang quite well on masterful in sp UT, but was thoroughly tired of the cheating bots in Q3A... Fun in some respects IMHO, but it really can't hold a candle to UT-- though the very objective, clear-minded, unbiased reviewers who make their living by "sucking it down" ID-style seem to disagree /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

Aug 19, 1999
PA, USA
Visit site
No campers in Q3? I'll have to ask those rail gunners were doing? /~unreal/ubb/html/biggrin.gif There's less camping because Quakers have a fascination with cramming in more people than a map was ever intended to have which makes camping close to impossible and it also makes tactics useless too. It's just shoot and run, no skill. However in any map with a decent amount of players, there's almost always a camper if there's railgun.

P

Prophetus

Yep, UT on turbo is faster. Q3A is okay, but UT is by far my favorite. And what is with cramming a bunch of people on a small map? Geez, might as well play a game where you kill a hundred chickens running blindly around in a small pen. And as far as camping, well, that is another word for tactical teamwork. It seems that when someone supports their teammate from afar, they are campers. And for deathmatch, camping is another word for survival. I don't quite often camp, but if the situation allows me to "camp" and get kills, then so be it. That is why I play CTF, Domination and Assault more than DM. I like someone out there supporting me. DM is all about running around and trying to rack up the most kills. Yes, it can be fun, but it gets boring. This is a new step for multiplayer in UT and Q3A (teamwork) and should be exploited to it's fullest.

XxBonesxX

banned
Dec 19, 1999
A grave Yard!
Visit site
The game is no fun if you can't hide or camp QIII bots are retarded haha and I bet you thought I was going to say gay.. Graphics well there ok but won't ever look as good as UT lets face it QIII is Id s last Quake game they will ever make cause they suck!!!

bullet2.gif

Come play in my Graveyard!!!
XxBonesxX

BobBanjo

Nov 16, 1999
Visit site
wow that bones guy sure is a biased ****wit...
do you think you could possibly try to make yourself look any MORE ignorant and stupid?? now if you could do that, THEN i'd be impressed...

bullet2.gif

Signatures are GAY... and so is unreal, UT and TheRock!

BoBVila ]|[ Arena

Dec 2, 1999
Visit site
"do you think you could possibly try to make yourself look any MORE ignorant and stupid?? "-BobBanjo

"Signatures are GAY... and so is unreal, UT"-BobBanjo

nuff said
shut up whiny loser