PDA

View Full Version : Tweaks

t-dAwG
11th Jan 2000, 02:01 AM
Hey,
Does anyone have any tweaks for UT-Glide other then the usual Windows stuff and the advanced menu?? Just wondering if someone could help, Thanks!

t-dAwG
11th Jan 2000, 02:57 AM
Anyone?? I know you hardcore gamers must have some tweaks for Glide!? Come-on just tell me!?

Voyd
11th Jan 2000, 07:16 PM
you dont mention what kinda card you have.

Fringe_mz
11th Jan 2000, 07:44 PM
Well, I'll give you some settings that I use on my voodoo3 3k. I prefer framerate over quality, but I managed to tweak it just right so that I have a nice balance of both.

Res- 800x600... 1024x768+ is nice and all, but I just don't notice the difference much graphics-wise and there is a noticable speed difference.

Under options->preferences...

World texture detail and skin detail are set to medium. I found the low settings to be very ugly, and high to tale too much performance for the visuals it did.

Min. Desired framerate is at 40. Decals are on because I like seing realistic explosion marks, and the performance tradoff isn't all that much. Dynamic lighting is ON, and although this sucks a bit of framerate, it provides tactical advantages that make up for it. You can see a flag carrier around a corner, for instance, due to the light he gives off. Turning this off makes a big performance impact though, so use your own judgement.

The REAL tweaks are in the "preferences" menu, in advanced options.

I'll just give you strait out what was modified/prefered (comments in parenthesis):

Display_______________

curvedsurfaces: false (big performance boost)
screenflashes: false (pain in the *** )

Rendering________________
_________3dfxGlide________

coronas: true (not a performance hit. Looks nice)
Detailbias:0.000 (no noticable visual loss)
Detailtextures: false (big performance increase)
highdetailactors: false (again, big fps increase)
refreshrate: 85Hz (up to you.)
screensmoothing: false
shinysurfaces:false
volumetriclighting: true (hey it looks cool)

That's about it. I have some experimental tweaks on networking, but they seem to be hurting more than helping.

For audio, I wholly recommend you keep hardware accelerated 3d sound checked, allong with surround if you can use it. There are big tactical benefits to being able to tell if someone is below/above/behind you without seeing them.
I also recommend that you keep sound quality low, for the performance increase.

Lemme know if you have any other tweaks. Having the latest version of unreal and 3dfx drivers is always good :-)

-Fringe