Idea for a realism mutator for limiting ammo

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

BrownyMan

Poet, Gentleman, Infiltrator?
Mar 21, 2000
USA, NH
Visit site
I've been playing Infiltration since 2.71 and since the advent of loadouts since 2.80, I can't recall a time I've ever been forced to use the Ka-Bar, i.e. I can never recall running out of ammunition.

Which got me to thinking it might be interesting if there was a mutator that prevented the loadouts from resetting at the beginning of every round perhaps every two three or four. This would make people feel the need to conserve ammo more and think about what they would be taking in to battle for a weapon.

Now I have no skills in any sort of programming but it's just an Idea I felt like throwing out that might be a little interesting.

Last edited:

peachz

BANNED
Sep 7, 2001
Mmmm... zen....
Pretty sure this has been suggested before, and I know another mod had a feature like this (...Strike Force, maybe? I can't remember). But it sounds like a good idea, and I've often wondered why this wasn't an option.

Peach says ':tup:'

bastardb

Dec 11, 2001
canada
Visit site
i as well think there should be a game mode or something that will make people conserve amoo more...
i was thinking something along the lines of... your a bunch of brand new recruits... downstairs training in some base and the base is bombed out... so you gotta go scrounge for what guns and ammunition is remaining around the base and if you run out... well its either knife time or go find more amo lying around

or for a fun yet somewhat less realistic way to play: the teams start at random spawn points.. and throughout the level is 2 or 3 ammo dumps. So these ammo dumps will have about enough guns for an 8 or 6 man team... then just about enough ammo for a few good fights ... maybe 2 clips each
and then once someone finds an ammo dump he should get armed and protect it while his team moves in to arm themselves to
of coruse theyd start with pistols or something so they dont gotta kabar it

bastardb

Dec 11, 2001
canada
Visit site
no no no dallas were talking about making a REAL shortage on ammo somehow....

so that they cant just straffe fire and reload every time

just a game type.. not like MAIN inf or something

Mar 19, 2001
San Diego, CA
But seriously how many times for a short combat deployment (which is what inf appears to be) would you run out of ammo. Its like a in out operation and if you run out of ammo your just not planning. Maybe if you were trapped and stayed there for days in what was supposed to be a quick operation you might run out of ammo. Also each round is basicly a different eventuality of the same situation (ie parallel universe or something like that)

bastardb

Dec 11, 2001
canada
Visit site
exactly... but he was trying to say it should simulate some type of ammo shortage and each time its reinforcements coming from somewhere and not bringing more amo with them

Keganator

White as Snow Moderator
Jun 19, 2001
PR's Barracks
www.kegnet.net
Lemme tell you...unless you want to rewrite some game code or keep a track of a WHOLE lot of information PLUS mod the playerclass, you're going to have a hell of a chance to make it work...meaning it wouldn't ever be successful with other mutators :(

And now you know the hurdle I'm encountering with DropInINF...it has to change just too much damn stuff...

btw...I got the wave intervals to work right...very, very cool in how they work :)

Apr 27, 2001
Visit site
Originally posted by BrownyMan
Which got me to thinking it might be interesting if there was a mutator that prevented the loadouts from resetting at the beginning of every round perhaps every two three or four. This would make people feel the need to conserve ammo more and think about what they would be taking in to battle for a weapon.

highly unrealistic
when you think about it

it would be like all the dead ppl rising from the dead picking, up their guns and getting back to their starting positions and fighting the battle all over again

atleast now when the round ends and the new one start you can pretend the first round didnt happen
its like the multipal universe theary: one event multipal outcomes
every outcome creats it own universe

DLL

Chrysolyte
Mar 12, 2001
While this would add another dynamic to the game, I don't think it's realistic. A realistic way to cause an ammo shortage would be to somehow lengthen rounds. ie Make people live longer and shoot more.

DLL

Chrysolyte
Mar 12, 2001
Nah, that's not what I meant. I meant "make gun fights last longer" not "make people bullet proof".

Lt.Col.BoyHitsCar

AFA Member & Beta Team Target
Feb 18, 2002
Visit site
although i like the idea of lengthening rounds, it would be difficult to do in an inf type game. just think about a game on kosovoday, with 16 players that map can drag out a round. i have had some great times on it but for the most part it can be like pulling teeth watching some ppl camp in a pointless spot.

also if irl i were to be down to my k-bar i dont think i would be worried about fighting. i'd be dropping as far back as possible. the only use i have for it, is just being an ass. sneaking up on a sniper and knifing him in the back.(of course that backfire everyonce in a while they catch me switching to my knife and i get robared from the hip.)

i like the basic idea, but the only way to really do that would be to remove the automatic fire from guns. kinda like a match on DoD with garands, m1's and kar98's ppl dont waste as much ammo because lets face it, its the autofire that makes ppl run through so much ammo on any given level.(when i use my m16 load out i never use all 3 clips, but when i use my sig load out i tend to end the levels with a half clip left or with only my pistol.)

UTProphet

Trial By Fire
Dec 8, 2000
tbf.clanspot.com
I thought you are trying to keep troops well stocked not let them run out of ammo. what are you thinking??

You guys are way too much into n00b control now to think about realism anymore. let the n00bs fire how they want. i will just kill them :D

don't restrict gameplay as a form of n00b control.

bastardb

Dec 11, 2001
canada
Visit site
prophet what the hell are you talking about?
noone said anything about it "fixing" something in the game... it was suggested as A GAMETYPE or something

countess what do you mean unrealistic?
what if its some research base.. that gets whiped out and the scientists have to pick the guns from the dead soldiers or something?
you can make almost anything seem realistic with some kinda story behind it

cept 286 rushing

Apr 27, 2001
Visit site
Originally posted by bastardb
countess what do you mean unrealistic?
what if its some research base.. that gets whiped out and the scientists have to pick the guns from the dead soldiers or something?

:rolleyes:
umm if the the soldiers where attacking a sience base and they had killed all the soldiers they would go on and take the whole base and take the sientists prisoner
they wouldnt retreat back out and wait for the sientists to form a militia

besides the fackt that sientist dont stand a chance against RL soldiers they would have to start WITHOUT guns, as they cant just run behind the retreating soldiers and pick up all the guns

and as most guns would be @ the places where they will meet the enamy first they wouldnt have a change @ getting any guns

and what if the base side wins?
do the new attackers keep their ammo?
will the army go : "your replacing him and he wasted that much ammo befor he dead so this is whats left for you"

the ONLY way for it to be realistic is if the guys that survive the round keep their ammo
but you can all see why that would be bad right?

and even then the survives would have to go back to their spawn get new teammates and do the whole battle again... o ya that happens 8 to 12 times in a row IRL all the time :rolleyes:

cept 286 rushing
nor 2.86 snipering of which most happens on ranges below 200 meters
or 2.86 camping for that matter
as there is nothing for you to defende so you should advance and get some terratory
the whole 2.86 is unrealist and inf will remain unrealistic untill we get objectives to do (soldiers ALWAYS have a objective)
only then will ppl use some RL stratagies

Last edited by a moderator:

bastardb

Dec 11, 2001
canada
Visit site
haha if thats the way you think....

then what about all the soldiers that were sleeping while the raid happened?

and then because in reall ife everyone runs around and doesnt cover there back.. it would be easy to sneak around behind and get the guns off the dead ones

jeez things think through

Apr 27, 2001
Visit site
Originally posted by bastardb
haha if thats the way you think....

then what about all the soldiers that were sleeping while the raid happened?

they would be taking out of their bunks and taking prisoner (duh:rolleyes: )
besides that every soldier has his own gun and ammo

and then because in reall ife everyone runs around and doesnt cover there back.. it would be easy to sneak around behind and get the guns off the dead ones

the attackers first move as fast as posible taking out any obvioce resistance then they search the place room by room
if a sientist was able to remain hidding and then get a gun the only thing on his mind would most likely be escape not take on trained soldiers on a halfempty gun
and there is no way he would have enough time to to get a desent sized group toghether to fight the soldiers

jeez things think through
good advice.
take it next time :D

p.s : thats "think things through"

Last edited by a moderator: