Rant about UT improvements..

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Xixiz

Dec 12, 1999
Visit site
OK, first off let me just say that I love UT or I wouldn't bother posting a rant like this. Having said that, here are a couple of things that *I* would like the see improved in the game:

1.)Rocket Launcher: I hate it only because it's over-used, so this post is going to seem somewhat contradictory..but..

Make the damm thing faster!! The rockets look like they are flying through molasses!

2.) Skins: Wasted effort. Let me explain.The problem is in our server admin community. Too many people are happy to just put up stock maps with NO patches much less any skins loaded to the servers. I can understand the bandwidth/dl problem, hopefully the forbid download feature of the new patch will take care of this. What we really NEED, and will not be easy, is to have a system that has maps/mods/skins on it to redirect to an http D/L site. I know they are looking into it and hope they pull it off. Until something like this is setup your not going to see a whole lot of use for skins outside of specialized servers where the admins actually take the time to put them up.

3.) Models:
First, another disclaimer. I in no way shape, way or from can make a quality skin or model. Having said that he skinning community is coming along, I've seen some real stinkers out there but it's better to try and fail then never try at all. The problem is we NEED MORE MODELS!! I truly hope that Epic releases the bonus pack as a patch, this way most users will be forced to get the new models and maps as a patch. Just makes more sense to me, but I think in strange ways.

4.)Mods and mutators: Same problem with skins. There are some truly GREAT mods and mutators out there that are just sitting around. Not enough servers bother to put them up. Example: The exploding ammo mod. LOVE it, makes a game that much more of a challenge. Haven't seen it on one server yet.

This isn't intended to be a flame, just a critical observation of some the things that I think about when I should be working...

Comments?

[PuF]USDA_Prime

Jan 3, 2000
Visit site
Man o man, do I agree with you! Especially on the mods issue. I can understand the relutance to put big new maps on servers, but mods like 'volatile ammo' are small and add enormously to the gameplay. Far as I'm concerned, it should be standard equipment.

bullet2.gif

I was going to go to work today, but the voices told me to stay home and clean the guns.

i think the only mutator i've seen on a game is low gravity... and that's annoying :p

bullet2.gif

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... When you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you..."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

"Gaze into the Abyss so I can get a better look at you..."
-Fatal Abyss(Jess Edwards)

E-mail: fatalabyss@hotmail.com
http://members.xoom.com/BringPeace

Monkey One

Jan 11, 2000
Visit site
One of the reasons that there aren't many/any custom models for UT is that the export utilities to make them are only just making their appearance.

And not all modeling programs are supported.

Zaccix

Truth, by Banksy
Nov 10, 1999
London, UK
I'd add one gripe to that list, which is that not enough servers are running custom maps and are simply content to run the stock maps. I mean they're fine 'n all, but I can count on one hand the number of servers I've seen running 3rd party maps.

There are a couple of utilities I've seen that take maps from the UT cache folder, rename them and stick 'em in the maps folder. Once you've d/lded a map, it's there, on your hard drive. Use a cache program to move it into Maps (or do it manually) and you never need to d/l it again. No problem.

Of course, anyone can grab maps from places like Nali City. The point is that it'd be nice to see some variation.

bullet2.gif

The Pittsburgh Penguins are now in session, Judge Jaromir Jagr presiding.