PDA

View Full Version : IrisDoor, forget about the old ones

Ren Höek
22nd Feb 2002, 07:16 AM
Ever read a tutorial about how to create a crappy irisdoor? Well, my old version had 3 moverkeys (0-2). Then, just this morning, it came to me. I don't need 3 key's, I've re-done my old one with just 2 key's and it's fits better then ever, opening smoothly as never before.

I'm not thinking of writing a tutorial 4 it, but you can dl an example here (http://www.geocities.com/n_vd_eijken/) on my site. Also questions about it can be asked here if you want 2

Hourences
22nd Feb 2002, 08:56 AM
looks cool

purice
22nd Feb 2002, 10:41 AM
yeah,
well done Ren

looks like it'll make for some goood squishin' :)

ChrisToth.hu
22nd Feb 2002, 11:33 AM
Looks nice!
That old iris spider texture was leet as well...

tarquin
22nd Feb 2002, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Ren Höek
I'm not thinking of writing a tutorial 4 it

Wow. looks excellent!!! :tup:
if you change your mind, add something about to Unreal Wiki. :)
doesn't have to be a proper tutorial, just rough notes are fine.

PM or email me if you need a hand getting started with the system.

Ren Höek
22nd Feb 2002, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by ChrisToth.hu
Looks nice!
That old iris spider texture was leet as well...

It's the same door I used. the only big difference is that this one has a perfect mover key with absolutely no chinks between the pieces when opening.

The spider texture is nice, but it has to be a theme of an entire map if I want to use it.

Originally posted by tarquin
if you change your mind, add something about to Unreal Wiki.
doesn't have to be a proper tutorial, just rough notes are fine.

I might do that, the rough notes part it's going to be then because I don't want to write an entire tutorial about how to create the mover parts and stuff. Just some notes about the mover key's because there is some tricky stuff about them.

It would be fun because I also have the six-sided iris door you might have seen ones in some of my screenies

Anyway, thx all 4 the complements:)

Ren Höek
22nd Feb 2002, 03:19 PM
So Chris, your sig.. Where is it?:)

tarquin
22nd Feb 2002, 04:54 PM
I might do that, the rough notes part it's going to be then because I don't want to write an entire tutorial about how to create the mover parts and stuff. Just some notes about the mover key's because there is some tricky stuff about them.

That would be perfect. Links to pages on actually making the movers can be added in later :)

Just add a new link on the Tutorials page.

LP
23rd Feb 2002, 08:18 AM
wooowwww , nice, AND its shiny , so can u post it, so we can admire??
/me thinks this kinda thing will fill the forums when U2 comes out, with ppl trying lots of cool tricks :)

Ren Höek
23rd Feb 2002, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by LP
so can u post it, so we can admire??

follow the link in the first post, it's on my crappy ut site

Cursed_Soul
23rd Feb 2002, 05:12 PM
/me wants 2 play jou map want hij lookt echt cool :)

Ren Höek
24th Feb 2002, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Cursed_Soul
/me wants 2 play jou map want hij lookt echt cool :)

hee, wel engels blijven tikken hè, anders sluit je de rest buiten:)

anyway, that map is far from finished as in my opinion, finished is perfect and this map is far from that. There is a lot of work to be done on it, even so much that I'm not thinking of finishing it ever. Maybe some day I'll rip all the bad stuff out of it and start redoing it all, but I allready started on a new map and I'm not sure if I'm going to finish that one before unreal II is being released. Anyway, I'll continue posting screenies of my new work, I have some nice decoration coming up.... but screenies are all I can offer right now... sorry...

Cursed_Soul
24th Feb 2002, 01:07 PM
2 bad, it has real great potential, but it looks really complex, so yea.... it gives a lot of problems....

i know that you had problems where u looked around in the map and suddenly the entire map disapeared... and stuff like that..

dmaster
1st Mar 2002, 05:23 AM
HI ALL!!! Ren I opened up your Iris demo and looked high and low through the void and could not spot the movers.How do you accomplish this?

tarquin
1st Mar 2002, 06:21 AM
Advanced.bHiddenEd

http://www.imahosting.com/unrealwiki/cgi-bin/wiki.cgi?Actor/Advanced

Ren Höek
1st Mar 2002, 03:26 PM
I'm not sure I understand what you mean, If you mean: not visible in ued, then that's just because all the parts belong to the same group. I don’t know why ued makes groups disappear, but if you just press the show all actors button they reappear again

Ren Höek
1st Mar 2002, 03:30 PM
hehe, I didn't hide them tarquin. Anyway, dmaster, if you decide to select one of the moving parts (to make them a mirror or something) be careful with the pivots of each part. If you have snap to grid turned on, the pivots might snap on to the grid and you could easily mess up the movement.

tarquin
1st Mar 2002, 03:57 PM
hehe, I didn't hide them tarquin

oooops. I forgot to check the group browser.
I haven't used that at all since it crashed one of my maps.