21st Feb 2002, 06:07 AM
I think it's rather ugly.

Ulukai
21st Feb 2002, 09:29 AM
I still haven't downloaded it.

@kuma
21st Feb 2002, 10:15 AM
play WOT instead :p

it'd be nicer with more appropriate textures (from what I remember, it's been a year since I played it)

Hourences
21st Feb 2002, 12:34 PM
map was not bad a few years ago when it was made, now its old and stuff, and is only impressive cause of the size and idea, not for the rest anymore

DavidM
23rd Feb 2002, 10:30 AM
huh

this map is slow, ugly and has no gameplay 0_o

fragswill
23rd Feb 2002, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by DavidM
huh

this map is slow, ugly and has no gameplay 0_o

Well put

Evil_Cope
23rd Feb 2002, 04:19 PM
slow? hell yeah. no gameplay? damn straight.

but ugly? thats pushing it a bit. its ambitious and arty farty. some of the textures are really good and the shear scale is impressive. but the outside and inside dont really match up imo. and the outside is a bit airy fairy.

ugly? no.

DavidM
23rd Feb 2002, 04:21 PM
there is nothing good about the visuals
the textures are ugly unreal1 crap
the lighting is nothing special at all
no great architecture

Hourences
23rd Feb 2002, 04:30 PM
the lightning is zonelight, it would offcourse be hard too lighten a map that big and stuff but imagine falkenstein with real shadow and light, real directoinal light, a moon on 1 side of the castle, that lights up side 1 and a dark shadowed side 2, now that would be much cooler allready and stuff
but map is old too

jreister
25th Feb 2002, 06:23 AM
A piece of art at its time maybe or if you pay UT the first time. I just downloaded it and was dissapointed. Its sure a whole lotta work, but it can hardly called a DM map, no gameplay at all, lighting sucks big time and textures arenīt that nice (looks like Disneyland)
I prefer a small or medium size map which offers great lightin, texturing, not to speak of gameplay...that I would call a piece of art

Evil_Cope
25th Feb 2002, 02:00 PM
its art because it is ALL about the looks basically. whether or not its a steaming pile of hideous **** is quite another matter.

one could argue of course, that all maps are art if the mapper but any attention into the asthetic side. and the secret of Good gameplay could also be attributed the tag of "art". depending on how you look at it. it is about creativity after all, isnt it?

Zarkazm
25th Feb 2002, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by DavidM
no great architecture

Unlike your maps it actually has architecture.

It's not a good playing map, but plz anyone post a link of a better castle. I am always interested.

Zarkazm
25th Feb 2002, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by jreister
textures arenīt that nice (looks like Disneyland)

Not really.

Maybe not a good DM map, but a damn good castle.

Eyuva 'S' NRG
4th Mar 2002, 10:37 PM
True dat, Falkenstein actually did have archetecture, probably what it should score best for. No gameplay, crap lighting, and pretty much crap everything else. But the archetecture is well done.

Twrecks
4th Mar 2002, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by Zarkazm

Unlike your maps it actually has architecture.

It's not a good playing map, but plz anyone post a link of a better castle. I am always interested.

Ya, I'm still pimpin this pile-o-poo
DM-Keep3 (http://nalicity.beyondunreal.com/review.php?id=6792)
I made this map with the Unreal1 Editor, so it blows, and BTW is my first map, version 3 upgrade (mo-poo-on-poo'poo)
I still find it remotely fun, even if the so-called "sky-box" makes me hock up my lunch.
I think I used more textures in this one map than any other single map I know.

sandorski
2nd Apr 2004, 06:31 AM
I still am impressed with dm-Falkenstein, it is a work of Art and very ambitious. It ran decently on my old Voodoo 5 5500 and runs perfectly fine on my Radeon 9600 Pro. As for Gameplay, it probably would make a good As/CTF/DOM map, it was too big for DM.

It would be interesting to see the Castle put into a UT3k3/4 Terrain with some Grass, Shrubs, and other updated Unreal Engine goodness.

UnrealGrrl
19th Apr 2004, 02:18 PM
i'd like to see alot of those big UT maps back for ut2004... falkenstein, gottliebs, konosus etc.

someone did a zeitkind remake i downloaded but havent played yet. what happened to shock systems? id love to see Project-X redone