PDA

View Full Version : breakaway floor

Laff
14th Feb 2002, 05:10 PM
so i've got this exploding floor, the mover is set to movebytime and the move time is 0.001. keyframe 1 of the mover is set to below the very bottom of the level and i've got it set for only trigger once. the problem is, players 'teleport' to the bottom instead of falling like intended...i think its because they are still 'stuck' to the mover until it passes through the floor...can anyone offer me an answer of how to fix it?

Bot_40
14th Feb 2002, 05:30 PM
Idea 1) Make the mover move to the side. This will push the players to the side though.
Idea 2) You could try placing a kicker below the hole with a very small positive z kick velocity. You will have to set bKillVelocity to true in the kicker so that you stop falling at the speed of the mover when you touch it and start falling normally. The aim is to make your feet lose contact with the mover when you start falling, so make sure you place the kicker so that the top of the collision radius is just a tiny bit below floor level so that you don't fall a little way, hit the kicker, then carry on falling. It should kick you almost the moment you begin to fall.

Call me Erdrik
15th Feb 2002, 11:44 AM
try changing the rotation of the mover brush in keyframe 1.
I have something similar in a map of mine only the movers 'falls' open like a door and when it rotates like that I think you lose the mover as the players base....

Laff
15th Feb 2002, 11:50 AM
tried both, no avail.

Call me Erdrik
15th Feb 2002, 01:12 PM
try this then.
Have the mover rotate 90 degrees to key frame 1 so:

start:

___

key frame 1:

|
|

and have it fall out of the map at that 90 degree rotation. I KNOW there is no way the player can stay on the mover if it is perpindicular to the ground and thus should fall off.

Laff
15th Feb 2002, 02:30 PM
tried it...but i still have to move it down, which i did on another keyframe, same result. how many exploding walls do you know of that just rotate instead of disappearing...

-kain-
15th Feb 2002, 03:01 PM
have you tried setting the movetime to 0.000000000 seconds? dunno if it'll work, it just means the mover will change places instantaneously instead of providing a moving platform the player can stand on.

Laff
15th Feb 2002, 04:13 PM
yep, tried it

Dumbcraft
15th Feb 2002, 04:49 PM
Try~ MoverGlideType: 'MV_GlideByTime'
and keep your move time at 0.000000.
Your mover can go any direction without any problems , no need to rotate it, etc.

Laff
15th Feb 2002, 05:13 PM
tried it, doesn't work.

Dumbcraft
15th Feb 2002, 06:00 PM
I have a glass floor that breaks away. I set my movers to move straight up. With my mover set to 'movebytime' i sometimes get shot to the side? But, setting to 'glidebytime' (which really makes no sense) fix's the problem? Can you have your movers move straight up instead? Make sure your mover move's all the way outside your level too. This will get the mover out of the way of the players and let the law of Unreal physics take over (hehe),.....might work?...

Bot_40
15th Feb 2002, 06:00 PM
Idea 3) Set keyframe 1 to rotate like Erdrik said, then set keyfram 2 to be somewhere off the map.
If it still 'throws' you down the hole, make sure that the mover ONLY rotates to the first keyframe and that it doesn't go down at all. It will move out the way during the move to keyframe 2.

-Penfold-
16th Feb 2002, 04:58 AM
I have a solution I figured out that might work.

On my map, two hinged doors fell open. (not instant move, though) My problem, however, was that sometimes bots (and players, I think) would magically float a few feet down, hovering in the hole.

So I played as observer and watched the bots, trying to figure out what the heck to do with the movers, and found something out. A bot was hovering, another happened to shoot him, and once hit, he fell into the hole.

Damage somehow 'resets' the physics! So all I did was made a special event and damage trigger the radius of the hole, just below the mover when the doors were at keyframe 0. After that, there was no more hovering. I just had the bots, or maybe a slight time delay in a dispatcher triggered by the mover trigger (i forget which) trigger the damage trigger, the bots took 1 damage, and never hovered.

So, I suggest putting a special event with damage trigger the radius of the hole to be above the mover that damages all in contact with the mover when the mover moves, which just might 'reset' their physics and solve the problem.

If that fails, be sure to double check for the 1 damage, to see if the damage trigger is set up correctly. Also, you might want to try having the keyframe 1 at maybe 4 units down with say a .1 mover time, set the trigger to go off .05 or .1 seconds after the mover is triggered, or have the bots themselves trigger the damage trigger with a trigger just below the top plane of the mover. Then, of course, have it move far away for keyframe 2.

Or, perhaps a quick and weak earthquake (which would be a good effect in this case anyway) may 'reset' the physics.

Let me know if any of these work, or if you need help with the special event triggers.

Bot_40
16th Feb 2002, 08:39 AM
I solved it. Place a keypoint -> Earthquake over the hole. Set it to be triggered about half a second before the floor falls. Set the duration to about 1. Set the magnitude to 700 or so. Mess about with the effect radius so that you don't get thrown about accross the other side of the map. Make sure bThrowPlayer is set to true.
Then just before the floor falls, you will begin to get thrown about a bit, then the floor will fall and you should slowly fall through the hole.

Here's the map I made to try it out. The explosion chains and breaking walls are just for effect, you don't have to do them if you don't want. The only important thing is the earthquake.

Laff
16th Feb 2002, 12:40 PM
well actually last night i got it, you see my exploding wall is actually part of an explosion that is set off when you shoot this energy tank...there's and explosion chain that also gets triggered and instantly kills players and bots...

but i got it working without the explosion too, all i had to do was make the floor rotate around completely, 360 degrees, as to force the player off...

this part is now badass, you haven't lived until you've seen parts of wall, railing, and gibs fly off in low grav! =D

cdeaconu
16th Feb 2002, 11:43 PM
i suppose i'm to late but...

u could have the movers go UP and have an invisible wall just above where the player would be and set the mover to ignore when encroach... or something to that effect.

probably wouldn't work anyways

Wiz
17th Feb 2002, 07:15 PM
the answer is in avalon]|[ (you should know this by now laff :p)

Laff
17th Feb 2002, 08:49 PM
damnnnnnnnn wiz. =D