Bazzi
13th Feb 2002, 11:35 AM
Who's that guy on the pic :D

subxaero
13th Feb 2002, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Bazzi
Who's that guy on the pic :D
well...does it really matter???
anyway..this is the crazy-gamingdude of jim.be ;)

TheRealFluffy
14th Feb 2002, 04:24 AM
That's the ******* from GamePower... As I am a shrimper (http://www.spelletjesgarnaal.be/) I don't look at GayPower and I watch SHRIMPTV... www.shrimptv.be)

The ******* is called Frank Molnar...

Tetris L
14th Feb 2002, 05:29 AM
Some nice stuff on the page of B.E. Griffith (http://home.wnm.net/~bgriff), who did many of the models for UT2.

He's also working for Epic on UW, but unfortunatly he didn't leak anything (at least I don't recognize any UW stuff ;)).

IntRed
14th Feb 2002, 06:18 AM
the guy is frank molnar allright
that sob, i really h8 him, he was in big brother you know (what a prick) and he used that to start that 'gameshow' ugh
GARNAAL & APOLLO all the way dude(www.spelletjesgarnaal.be) :p

DeRailer
14th Feb 2002, 07:08 AM
WOW! the Male Egyptian model is so cool!

http://home.wnm.net/~bgriff/EM1v3.JPG

TheRealFluffy
14th Feb 2002, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by TTRStryker8
the guy is frank molnar allright
that sob, i really h8 him, he was in big brother you know (what a prick) and he used that to start that 'gameshow' ugh
GARNAAL & APOLLO all the way dude(www.spelletjesgarnaal.be) :p
Just what I said :D
Yeah, more shrimpers around here :D

[IsP]KaRnAgE
14th Feb 2002, 11:57 AM
i might get this game just for the models:eek:

Rhedd
14th Feb 2002, 07:21 PM
Glad you like him, DeRailer. ^_^

Happy Valentines Day,
Rhedd (aka. B. E. Griffith)

subxaero
15th Feb 2002, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Rhedd
Rhedd (aka. B. E. Griffith)
???

what..you are you? ;)

not bad dude..great work!

but i got a quastion.
"how" do u make your models.
for example in MAX, do u use splines, nurbs(is don't think so) or just primitives and then extrude an modify them?
and how do u get it, that u can work on a given polycount?
do u delete parts and build them again, just for saving polys or do u add meshsmooth just to increase the framerate, because u have some space left???

'cause i like this model most...the nightmare-freak..he's great!

http://home.wnm.net/~bgriff/NM1v3.JPG

Rhedd
15th Feb 2002, 09:53 PM
Yep, I was me last time I checked. ^_^

These are pretty good questions. It sounds like you're familiar with building models in MAX yourself.

I do use 3D StudioMAX. For higher polycount models I usually start with primitives and modify them (a LOT), but I don't work the same way on low polycount game models.

The first, very important step is to make a 3d "sketch" of the model. Use the line creation tool and draw the silhouette and any major details of the model. I do this in at least two viewports, usually front and right, to form a really rough 3d outline of the model. Making a good guide to work from will insure that the final character is proportioned correctly. I don't start building until I'm happy with the way this looks.

The secret to making good game models is to make every polygon count, and the best way I've found to do that is to hand build every poly. Unless it's a really simple shape, like a tube, I seldom use primitives at all. Working from the 3d sketch I place individual vertices to form an outline of the area I'm working on, then I connect them to form faces. Turning and splitting edges really works well for smoothing the curves.

The finished product is one where every single polygon was put there on purpose. It may seem time consuming, but it's not as bad as it seems. It took me about two or three days to build each of the models that you see on my website.

As for staying within a polycount budget, I give God credit for that. ^_^ 3DSMAX has this great feature that gives you a status bar showing how close you are to your polycount budget, and I just keep an eye on this as I work. If I'm building a human, I know that each body area should be a maximum of 1/6 of the total, so if I go over on the head, I just try to cut it short on the legs, etc. I think it's only by the grace of God that I come out as close as I do, but I've never had to rebuild anything.

I hope this helps.

Rhedd

Tetris L
16th Feb 2002, 12:30 AM
Hi Rhedd,
nice to see you here.

Lucky bastard y00 to get hired by DE/Epic after publishing just one single custom model. Unbelievable. :eek: You deserve it thought, as you're obviously very talented. Your models rock (all of them). Keep up the good work. I can't wait to see your models for UW. :):tup:

Are you allowed to tell what kind of models you made for UW? Just scenery/map prefabs or also player/vehicle models?

Rhedd
16th Feb 2002, 02:36 AM
A bunch of player character models and a bit of scenery so far. Never know what might be next.

Rhedd

IntRed
16th Feb 2002, 06:42 AM
idd, congrats on a job very well done :)
isn't your way of modelling very time consuming?

subxaero
16th Feb 2002, 09:49 AM
The first, very important step is to make a 3d "sketch" of the model. Use the line creation tool and draw the silhouette and any major details of the model. I do this in at least two viewports, usually front and right, to form a really rough 3d outline of the model. Making a good guide to work from will insure that the final character is proportioned correctly. I don't start building until I'm happy with the way this looks.

well..i understand that u build two splines for the most important views.
but to get it 3D, do u connect the splines like NURBS, that you get like a preview of your model?
and if, then how?
(i'm not really familiar with nurbs...)

the thing with, if I'm familiar with modeling...not really...well i do a lot of shidd with max, but i just created one model with max...
just 4 fun: http://mitglied.lycos.de/acervus/pixcount/artworks3DS/down/sx_acervus.jpg
The secret to making good game models is to make every polygon count, and the best way I've found to do that is to hand build every poly. Unless it's a really simple shape, like a tube, I seldom use primitives at all. Working from the 3d sketch I place individual vertices to form an outline of the area I'm working on, then I connect them to form faces. Turning and splitting edges really works well for smoothing the curves.
[/B]
hmm...i don't really understand this part...:rolleyes:..either my english or my max-techniques are too bad! ;)

btw...how can splitting surfaces work well for smoothing curves?
and HOW can i re-unite splitted surfaces?

questions, questions, questions :D

Rhedd
16th Feb 2002, 09:48 PM
well..i understand that u build two splines for the most important views.
Here's a screenshot showing the sort of "3D sketch" that I was talking about. You can see the outline of a model, with another yellow outline showing the basic line of the clothes he's going to wear. This is all there is to it. No nurbs involved. You can see that I've already started building a bit of the leg and I'm keeping it within the outline.
hmm...i don't really understand this part.....either my english or my max-techniques are too bad!There are two tools in MAX: "Vertex- create new" and "Face- build". That's what I was talking about using. And, no, TTRStryker8, it's not that time consuming. Like I said; takes me about two days per model, and that's not really nose-to-the-grindstone work. ^_^
btw...how can splitting surfaces work well for smoothing curves?
Splitting faces or edges can smooth a curve because you take a long flat line and break it in half, then move the new vertex to smooth the curve.

No real way to "reunite" split surfaces, sorry.

subxaero
17th Feb 2002, 03:29 AM
great, thx!

so...after i finally woke up, i'm going to tidy up my room and then going to try out these techniques...:D

btw, what do u think about some of my MAX-Work@ www.subxaero.de ?

IntRed
17th Feb 2002, 05:21 AM
i'm amazed, your technique is very unique and it delivers very stunning results, perhaps you should write a more extensive tutorial and put it on the net, i'm sure lots of people would love it :)

@kuma
17th Feb 2002, 06:07 AM
heh it does sound kinda time consuming - if you're making what looks like basically a spline cage why not 'join the dots' on it & apply a surface modifier? Sure, it'll be high poly but you can always chop it down & clean it up.

http://www.loonygames.com/content/1.13/totb/ <-- steed uses a similar method, with a handy-dandy step by step walktru

Dai
17th Feb 2002, 08:04 AM
Heh. it's funny how differently people work. I don't build my stuff even in a remotely similar way. But then, I don't work for DE :p

Fisherman's Friend
24th Feb 2002, 02:03 AM
Rhedd, your models rawk my nuts! :tup:

Gwot
9th Mar 2002, 10:22 AM
Hey Brian, nice to see you here =]
Just found this forum myself. Hope to hang around a little bit as time allows.