PDA

View Full Version : hmmm....gamespeed?

gramps
13th Feb 2002, 04:55 AM
from what i've read on this forum and in articles, UT2 is basically going to be something like Tribes2, i mean class based multiplayer, spawning with all weapons, huge open maps etc. not exactly like T2 of course, but the concept of the class based player system (which is being called XMP apparently) is there.

now, the spawning with all weapons thing has been discussed and i understand the general opinion is it will make gameplay faster. however, when i look at Tribes2 i notice player movement in that game is very sluggish and in general a lot slower than UT or Q3. if you've played T2 you know exactly what i mean. it's very hard to control your player's movement.

my fear is that UT2 will not have the 'arcade' way of playing thay UT has, but will instead be slower, like Tribes2. i don't know if i can really compare T2 with UT2, but well ... i was wondering if anything has been written about the gamespeed of UT2? i couldn't find anything myself.

Boogey
13th Feb 2002, 08:09 AM
Hmm.. XMP is a multiplayer gamemode in U2, not UT2.

Apart from that, I'd also be sad to see that "arcade" feel of UT be replaced by a T2'ish gameplay... but I really don't think we should worry about that. It's been mentioned many times how closely the development team are working with UT veterans in order not to lose whatever made anyone wanna become veterans in the first place.

I'm pretty confident that at least one of the upcoming U titles are gonna hit the sweet spot for me :)

hal
13th Feb 2002, 09:16 AM
Have you watched any of the videos that have been released on it, gramps? The gameplay looks spot-on to UT's.

Tetris L
13th Feb 2002, 10:36 AM
Yeah, Gramps, you mixed up U2 and UT2. (Never mind, you're not the first one. ;)) U2 will have classes; but no vehicles. UT2 will have vehicles; but no classes.

My guess is that U2 will have a more Tribes/TFC-like gameplay (more strategic and a bit more slow-paced), while UT2 will maintain the original fastpaced pure UT/Quake arcade style gameplay.

Bazzi
13th Feb 2002, 11:41 AM
both is great btw :)

gramps
13th Feb 2002, 12:15 PM
ah, looks like i did mix both games up, heh. personally, if U2 is going to be more like T2 i wouldn't mind, since it's primarily a single player game.

and i have seen a video that came with a german magazine, and has been uploaded somewhere on the internet. but from that video i couldn't really see much concerning gamespeed and player movement.

My guess is that U2 will have a more Tribes/TFC-like gameplay (more strategic and a bit more slow-paced), while UT2 will maintain the original fastpaced pure UT/Quake arcade style gameplay.
i hope you're right. :)

mobace
13th Feb 2002, 07:11 PM
can someone please point me to one of the UT2 movies? i had no idea anything like this had been released

NeoNite
13th Feb 2002, 07:38 PM
I'd mind if u2 would have T2 style gameplay. Just because it's sp orientated it doesn't mean it has to be slow...