Cylinder or Poly?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Papapishu

我是康
Jun 18, 2001
void
www.vovoid.com
I was a little worried by a video I saw demonstrating gameplay in U2 and UT2.
The guy showed that you could crouch and even prone under obstacles, and he said that it "reduced the collissionheight" of the character.
This worries me, cause I heard that there would be per-poly collission detection in U2...
Did he just mean, the "imaginary" collision height, or should I be worried? :(

Boogey

Talvin Singh fanboy
Aug 31, 2000
Visit site
I could imagine that the per-poly collision detection was only applied in some circumstances, and NOT when checking weaponfire vs playermodels in multiplayer, as it'd be extremely unfair to the big blokey guys vs cute thin little chicks...

but for the singleplayer campaign per-poly detection would rock against the various monsters...

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
What you are saying is, that individual player models could have different hitboxes? As opposed to UT where also the warcow has a standard hitbox...

ARG :(

Tetris L

Smartass
Feb 15, 2000
Germany
cleaned.beyondunreal.com
Per-poly hit detection is nice from a technical point of view, but from a multiplayer gameplay point of view, for the sake of fairness and to level the field of play online, I hope that all models (in the same class) will have a uniform hitbox. Otherwise the doors are wide open for the exploration of this possible advantage, especially with U2 having much better support for custom models online.

Boogey

Talvin Singh fanboy
Aug 31, 2000
Visit site
Originally posted by Tetris L
Otherwise the doors are wide open for the exploration of this possible advantage, especially with U2 having much better support for custom models online.

Online=multiplayer=unfair, or what do u mean?

I can still only imagine it being applied to the enemy in the singleplayer.

Well, I think it would be applied not so much to enemies (although to larger enemies, probably), but to large actors in general - trees, vehicles, etc. I read somewhere (or maybe I just dreamed this?) that U2 was going to have 3 types of collision - cylinder, box, and per-poly. Don't quote me on that...

Eater.

ravenus

The Heretic
Oct 7, 2000
India
Visit site
SOF1 had different collision boxes for different models, I think, which they balanced by allocating damage points accordingly, like bulky easily shootable models having more hitpoints.

Papapishu

我是康
Jun 18, 2001
void
www.vovoid.com
It might be so that it uses per-poly even in multiplayer, but only with supported playermodels.
Maybe they have an algorithm to calculate the "mass" off the mesh, and will only approve it if the mass is more than a minimum amount of cubic-units
That would be fair enough, and more realistic...
Or they could use a skeleton collission, since, as far as I understand, they will have a bunch of standard skeletons that you just "hang" the mesh unto.
So they could put a collission-box/cyllinder around every limb, like two per arm, two per leg, one for body and one for head...
That'd make it possible to shoot between the legs of the enemy, and over the shoulder...

Metakill

Inhumane
Feb 18, 2000
Redwood City, CA USA
I'd imagine the per-poly-collision thing would apply to contact between actor-meshes and the world mostly. Like, so weapons or peoples feet weren't disappearing through walls and stuff.

Tetris L

Smartass
Feb 15, 2000
Germany
cleaned.beyondunreal.com
Originally posted by papapishu
It might be so that it uses per-poly even in multiplayer, but only with supported playermodels.
Maybe they have an algorithm to calculate the "mass" off the mesh, and will only approve it if the mass is more than a minimum amount of cubic-units
That would be fair enough, and more realistic...
Or they could use a skeleton collission, since, as far as I understand, they will have a bunch of standard skeletons that you just "hang" the mesh unto.
So they could put a collission-box/cyllinder around every limb, like two per arm, two per leg, one for body and one for head...
That'd make it possible to shoot between the legs of the enemy, and over the shoulder...
Good idea.

But that would require that all models are humanoid (1 head, 2 legs, 2 arms, upright walk, ...). Many of the custom models for UT weren't. :hmm:

Status
Not open for further replies.