Gamespot Unreal 2 Preview... release date?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Note that I wasn't saying that it was going to be released on March1. Only that it was odd that they were saying that... and yes I did notice second quarter 02, but that starts in April. :D

Very amusing. And actually the article was innacurate in several areas.

Tetris: No vehicles... I didn't remember ever seeing that they said "no vehicles", but I will trust you the "human U2 encyclopedia". ;)

ravenus

The Heretic
Oct 7, 2000
India
Visit site
I've read in earlier interviews that there wuld be no vehicle support.
I really like the part where they say that the enemies change thru weapons or select routes to nail you down depending on what's good for the occasion. Such creature AI for SP games makes for a really mouth-watering experience.

Law

I see...
May 2, 2000
Visit site
From the preview...

While some people didn't have a problem with the weapons dished up in the original Unreal, apparently the general consumer feedback revealed that most players were uncomfortable with the fact that the arsenal didn't contain first-person-shooter staples such as a shotgun, machine gun, or rocket launcher

Where did they find this brilliant piece of information? Glad to see that the standard of gaming journalism is so high.

Not much new information in the preview, but the screens were nice. Thanks hal.

RegularX

Master of Dagoth Lies
Feb 2, 2000
Chicago, IL
It's long, which in gaming journalism usually equals a bit less quality, but not bad overall.

As for the "unstandard" weapons, it's poorly worded/written, but there was a sentiment when UnrealI came out that the weaponry was a bit too "alien", but that really had more to do with the time than the game - everyone was so used to the conversion of Wolf->Doom->Quake that the concept of really creative weaponry was still a bit "fringe". We had yet to see shrinkers and cerebral bores...

While not much new, I thought it had a bit of depth to describing the single player game and the quotes and screenies were nice.

We've had so many previews of both U2 and UT2 back to back recently I'm not surprised there isn't much new to talk about in them. By now they're probably all getting the same speeches. Since the realist in us know it won't be out next month, I guess we'll just have to wait...

rgx

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
Where do we get when every FPS shooter must contain the weapons that were introduced with Doom 10 years ago?
Unreal I had very good weapons, just because non of that standard crap was in

RegularX

Master of Dagoth Lies
Feb 2, 2000
Chicago, IL
Originally posted by Prophetus
The majority of those who complained about the lack of Terran weapons were Quake fanatics and Half Life lovers:).

*just a guess

I'd say that's right :) I think a couple were ticked that Nine Inch Nails didn't do the soundtrack too :) And looking back, obviously I was wrong - we had seen shrinkers, in Duke. Duke had a lot of weird weaponry, but I suppose it had enough of the staples not to be as challenged, or something...

rgx

Law

I see...
May 2, 2000
Visit site
The article claims that people were mad about not having a rocket launcher in the game. Hello? Did they stop playing after Vortex Rikers?

I shouldn't dwell on that, but it just seems ridiculous.

RegularX

Master of Dagoth Lies
Feb 2, 2000
Chicago, IL
Originally posted by Law
The article claims that people were mad about not having a rocket launcher in the game. Hello? Did they stop playing after Vortex Rikers?

I shouldn't dwell on that, but it just seems ridiculous.

It seems that way because it is :).

Actually, if I remember the talk at the time, people didn't like the way the RL worked (although I thought it was great fun).

But peep's opinions change, which is also what I thought was odd about putting that into a preview. I mean, OK, if U2 was coming out a year after U1, sure - but three years after the fact seems a bit odd. It was more relevant when UT came out.

rgx

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
The majority of those who complained about the lack of Terran weapons were Quake fanatics and Half Life lovers:).

*just a guess

I love Quake, and espically Half-life so watch yourself. ;)

anywho I love 3d shooters all around, espically the real good ones like UT. :)

ravenus

The Heretic
Oct 7, 2000
India
Visit site
Originally posted by -_-T()()L-_-

I love Quake, and espically Half-life so watch yourself. ;)
The point here was that most of the weapons in these games didn't mostly make you think "Oh Gee Whiz I wonder what this thing does." unlike U1 where there was a learning component involved with each new weapon.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Originally posted by ravenus

The point here was that most of the weapons in these games didn't mostly make you think "Oh Gee Whiz I wonder what this thing does." unlike U1 where there was a learning component involved with each new weapon.

True. Most quakers don't like Unreal due to the look and feel of the unreal weapons. They simply think they suck, but don't take the time to learn how to master them etc.. :-/ their loss if you ask me.

Zaccix

Truth, by Banksy
Nov 10, 1999
London, UK

*just a guess
Unreal came out before Half-Life. I know what you meant, though. :)

With regards to that quote that Law posted, I dunno where they get "general consumer feedback" from. I highly doubt that games companies were standing outside EB stores asking Quake players what they thought of Unreal's weapons in order to gauge opinion. Even feedback cards in game boxes didn't have a question asking "What do you think of the weapons?"

Journos, eh? :)

ravenus

The Heretic
Oct 7, 2000
India
Visit site
Originally posted by Zaccix

With regards to that quote that Law posted, I dunno where they get "general consumer feedback" from.

Oh they get enough from visiting all the game forums on the net I guess, although how representative that is of the overall buying audience is anybody's guess.

Toolvana

RL hostage
Nov 24, 1999
Satellite of Love
www.toolvana.com
Who cares what game journalists "know" or assume. If the game appeals to me, if the weapons appeal to me then fine. I'm not going to get hung up on whether or not "general consumer feedback" approves of the content. Funk 'dat.

Status
Not open for further replies.