PDA

View Full Version : DM-HappyHardcore

Smax
10th Feb 2002, 06:12 PM
http://houseofsmax.homestead.com/files/happyh533.jpg

2.2mb download here (http://houseofsmax.homestead.com/files/DMHappyHardcore.zip)

I'd like some feedback on this map please.
Thanks for your time.

Stilgar
15th Feb 2002, 11:45 PM
are you sure that lion motif isn't copyrighted or a TM or sumthin ?

Evil_Cope
16th Feb 2002, 05:14 PM
the one in the pic? nah. just an old heraldry thingy.

the space marine on teh other hand...

Smax
16th Feb 2002, 07:01 PM
The Lion as used there is the Gatecrasher logo. A very similar one is used by the Peugeot [sp?] car company and I've even been told it's the Belgian Lion by one Belgian and the Dutch Lion by one Dutchman, so I guess it's all thing to all people, although the answer is yes is probably is copyrighted in some way, but then so is the music......
If someone sends me some sort of "cease and desist" instruction I'll be a good boy and delete it, until then it can stay.
Anyways anyone got any feedback for me? All I've had so far is DavidM saying it's "solid" but then so is he [upstairs at least] ;) c'mon I need more than that......

Evil_Cope
16th Feb 2002, 08:43 PM
ill have a gander at it.

MoxNix
16th Feb 2002, 10:34 PM
A bit tight in spots maybe and there are an awfull lot of camping sites... Some of which probably weren't intended to be accessable. There are many ways of getting onto the roof areas through the skylights. These are high jumps reachable only with a combination boots/hammer jump not just a normal boots jump or hammer jump. I doubt you intended players to be able to get up there since most of the skylight areas are blocked to prevent jumping through them, but there are several holes you can still jump through.

Two pairs of jump boots seems excessive considering the map isn't a huge one.

Other than that, it looks very much like yet another DavidM map, except the item numbers and placement are far better. :)

Some parts of the map I liked, some parts I didn't like. I can't say much more than that without playing it a lot more. It looks pretty good and the poly count is good too. I think it needs more polish and maybe an inspiration or two. Definately has potential and could turn out to be a really good map in the end.

Evil_Cope
17th Feb 2002, 06:23 PM
yeah, it does seem very cramped in that it gets bloody insane whenever you have a couple of bots around.

i like the theme actually. light hearted harcore. love the comedy textures and the monkey guy. the space marine one seems a bit.. unexplained and the url everywhere gets repetitive but its all kinda cool.

oh, i like the music too, but it is also a bit repetitive.

Smax
17th Feb 2002, 06:54 PM
Thanks for that.
I tested the block alls by throwing the translocator around a few times....it always bounced back so I released the map. After playing it for a while I discovered that there are gaps in the setup....unfortunately by then it was a bit late. I should have spent more time fine tuning that element, but to be honest by then I was tired of everthing to do with the thing.
The music is a 42second sample which went from mp3 to 18000hz wav to umx. I would have liked to make it longer but the file size was already 1mb+.... I usually play with the music off, so I don't notice it, the reason it's in there is that I finally got 'round to downloading modplug tracker, I had a play with it and decided the result was quite cool.
The Unreality url is overused, so is the Gatecrasher Lion but again it's a concession to eventual filesize....I didn't really want to have some many silly textures in it that I ended up with a 3mb+ zip, but Utech1 looks sooooo bland I just decided to throw things in at every opportunity, as for the Space Marine and Johnny Vegas[monkey man] well they're just things I like, rather than things that fit the map.
I really created it for 2-3 players I just stuck more starts in for those who'd rather spam than think, anymore than 5 and "bot central" at the bottom just gets overcrowded.
Hopefully overall you liked it, I tried to do something that flowed and had some variation, I threw all the jumpboots in to give those who play without the translocator a chance to bounce around a bit, and also because I like jump boots ;)

MoxNix
18th Feb 2002, 12:30 AM
Heh, don't take me wrong, I like jumpboots too. In fact my own current project has 2 sets of boots, but it's a large map with a lot of vertical action. :)

GoldenMouse
4th Mar 2002, 08:39 PM
I liked the smiley face sign. "You are in harm's way. Have a nice death." It's out in the open, it catches the eye and demands to be read, and by the time one reads it, it becomes all too true. ;) Wonderful.

Smax
7th Mar 2002, 07:18 PM
That texture comes from Fox Interactive's No-one lives Forever which BTW is a d@mn good game....it's part of the N.O.L.F tex pack created by Markus "MarkusW" Wallmüller
MarkusW page (www.markuswsmaps.de.vu)

glad you liked it....cheers for your comments