my comp is dead!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

FireSlash

Whats a FireSlash?
Feb 3, 2001
Central Ohio
www.unrealannihilation.com
ok. lests start from the beginning of this.

first, i have been getting BSODs (with this same error, IRQL not less than or equal) for nearly 2 months. changing VC drivers was a fix but then i had no glide. i ignored. about a week ago i started having problems with double-clicking and XP not loading right. (no login sound till 5 min after boot?!) then, yesterday, it started crashing ans BSODing, ALOT. i changed drivers and removed the clock settings on my voodoo. this didnt help. windows started 'pausing' alot, i traced this down to my LAN card, and updated the drivers. Mistake #1. from there, i had about 2 minutes of XP run time before a BSOD or lock. i used system restore, went back to a week ago. NO CHANGE. getting annoye4d, i swap out my lan card for a NETGear one. no change. i remove the netgear. no change. i replace the Voodoo with a PCI 4 meg Trident card. still BSODing and locking (no change) :hmm: i then thought it might have been a CMOS setting. i restore back to Fail-Safe settings. Mistake #2. now it wont even post. i get a nice pretty black screen. not even some beeps. removing the IDE devices, changing memory, changing VCs, all have had no effect. the only 3 components left on are the PSU, Mobo, and CPU.

did somthing just blow?!

im gonna swap out my athlon for a Duron in my basement, see if i can get her to boot.

on a final note, i did try to flush the bios and reboot. i have done this before and it worked fine, this time it did not.

any feedback/ideas would be nice

The_Inflictor

Honest and unmerciful
Mar 25, 2000
Midlands
Owww, hard lines :(

Sorry, no suggestions - I'm useless with this sort of stuff :hmm:

Oh, oh I do have one: did it work fine in Safe Mode?

/me tries to sound like me knows something :con:

Fluid

Zen fascists will control you
Aug 2, 2000
Maastricht, the Netherlands
Does your motherboard have problem analysis LEDs?

(little green lights that indicate what the motherboard is doing atm, like "Power on", "POST", "loading OS", etc)

D66

Grey Pilgrim
Feb 2, 2000
Gondolin
Visit site
Remove everything but Video, CPU and RAM and see if it posts....
If not... Remove Ram and see if you get a Beep-code..
If Not... Put the Ram back in and remove the Vid...See if you get beep-code
If not....Walk a single Ram stick down your slots.....
Still nothing.....Mobo dead

FireSlash

Whats a FireSlash?
Feb 3, 2001
Central Ohio
Tried: Remove everything but Video, CPU and RAM and see if it posts....
Tried: If not... Remove Ram and see if you get a Beep-code..
Tried: If Not... Put the Ram back in and remove the Vid...See if you get beep-code
Tried: If not....Walk a single Ram stick down your slots.....
Hope Not: Still nothing.....Mobo dead

FireSlash

Whats a FireSlash?
Feb 3, 2001
Central Ohio
Originally posted by DexterII
I had the same problem and it turned out my keyboard and mouse were in the wrong PS/2 slots, my mobo wouldn't do anything.

Try switching the two or the one if there is no mouse.
the mouse and keyboard ARE in the correct slots, and have not been moved since their installation.

DexterII

Overworked
Mar 22, 2001
Laboratory
www.ImAHosting.com
Ok, is anything getting warm or hot? Like smaller chips or the proccessor.

Otherwise take everything out, every single thing and let it sit, theres a few reasons why then put it back in securly.

FireSlash

Whats a FireSlash?
Feb 3, 2001
Central Ohio
well, i figured it out.

about 2 months ago i had a stick of slower 20ns ram in mny system. this is back when i last had to use failsafe. i had since removed that ram. now, when we revert to failsafe, memory settings get thrown to PC100. with 2 sticks of 15ns PC133 which WILL NOT RUN AT PC100, this presented a problem.

once again, saved by a 32 meg dimm:rolleyes:

now i just have to get it running STABLE.

DeaJae

taking a month's break
May 7, 2001
England
www.littleportitservices.co.uk
if its windows Good Luck. :p

i remember trouble with my boards not beeping on a error, but in the end it was the CPU being fried.

oh and the time i was starting out on hardware (years ago) where i put the IDE cable on the board back to front, that stops it displaying and beeping :rolleyes:

Fomhoire

Internet Addict
Dec 24, 2000
Sacramento, CA
Visit site
Sounds like bad memory is a possibility. I doubt it is the processor, though I did see the L2 cache on an Athlon cause simular problems once. Disabling L2 in the bios resolved the issue.

You didn't mention what motherboard, type of memory, etc.

Clayeth

Classic
Apr 10, 2000
Kentucky
Originally posted by FireSlash
well, i figured it out.

about 2 months ago i had a stick of slower 20ns ram in mny system. this is back when i last had to use failsafe. i had since removed that ram. now, when we revert to failsafe, memory settings get thrown to PC100. with 2 sticks of 15ns PC133 which WILL NOT RUN AT PC100, this presented a problem.

once again, saved by a 32 meg dimm:rolleyes:

now i just have to get it running STABLE.
umm... there's no reason for PC133 ram not to run at 100mhz. The only difference between PC100 and PC133 is the speed that they have tested to be stable at. Lowering the speed shouldn't cause problems. I would say one of those pieces you removed is bad. My computer has PC133 running at 100mhz at this very moment.

FireSlash

Whats a FireSlash?
Feb 3, 2001
Central Ohio
Originally posted by Clayeth|BuF

umm... there's no reason for PC133 ram not to run at 100mhz. The only difference between PC100 and PC133 is the speed that they have tested to be stable at. Lowering the speed shouldn't cause problems. I would say one of those pieces you removed is bad. My computer has PC133 running at 100mhz at this very moment.

same memory i had in before. also, i could isolate each one and still the same problems. NTM it didnt work with both at the time wither, and works FINE with both now. odd, yes. impossible, no.