PDA

View Full Version : how can anyone hate UT?

ThrasherX9
3rd Jan 2000, 01:53 AM
ina a couple of forums, such as the DNF forum, a couple of ppl post that such stuff as the Q3 engine better then UT, and all UT is, is an Explansion or a mod, and they cant stand UT. HOW? if they like Q3 so much, how can they not at least purchass UT? HOW I SAY, HOW!!!????

------------------
Time to kick a$$ and chew bubble gum, and im all out of gum.-Duke Nukem

Lizard Of Oz
3rd Jan 2000, 02:00 AM
Just a matter of taste, or more likely, blind loyalty to Id.

http://www.planetunreal.com/images/bullet2.gif
"There is no point in tip-toeing through life to get safely to death."
"Whom ever sacrifices freedom for security get's nor deserves either."

-Lizard Of Oz -aka- {PuF}Lizard- nguid = 108675

SSSHAD
3rd Jan 2000, 05:49 AM
right, loyalty at clinical stage

hal
3rd Jan 2000, 08:04 AM
There's always a sick f@@@ in every crowd....

Cyberian_2K
3rd Jan 2000, 05:23 PM
I would say blind loyalty. Many people at the Quake boards took just play a game called Quake with a number after it. They're not willing to be open-minded about these things.

Hertston
3rd Jan 2000, 05:35 PM
Simple, the ****holes havn't bought it. It's their loss.

I like Quake 3 too, and in some ways it does look better. But it's only good for DM, and Team games are the future. After a session playing Assault on Overlord or Highspeed, even the most blinkered Q3 fanatic would change their mind.

Cyberian_2K
3rd Jan 2000, 05:49 PM
I agree with Hertston. I've been playing FPS games since the diaper days of Wolfenstein. id software got my vote for Doom and Quake 1. But when Unreal came out, it was fav FPS until Half-Life came out later.

Now, Quake III is the better graphics engine, but hands down UT is the best multiplayer game. And I am an bonafide Quake fan.

Quake 3 has it's moments, but honestly just doesn't measure up to Unreal Tournament.

I just hope those Legend guys don't make a mess of Unreal 2. I hope Epic watches them like a hawk when they work on that.

Stealth
3rd Jan 2000, 07:37 PM
I come from planetquake forums..
I own both games and i agree that UT is a Great Game!
but i still like q3 better for some reason.
I agree that people shouldnt Say anything about unreal tournament Untill they have played the game.

johnnyG
3rd Jan 2000, 07:56 PM
Well, I think the engines are almost exactly the same but Q3 does have better graphics, id just doesn't know how to use them to their full advantage like in UT. For instance look at the Longest Yard level in Q3. The entire backround is pitch black but if that were a level in UT I guarentee the backround would be filled with tons of stars and detailed planets orbiting around making the level look twice as good. Q3 could have been a lot better if id would have kept going with it but the actual game doesn't seem like much more than the test or demo was. They are both good games however, it just depends on your style of DM you like. I prefer UT DM but I am way better at Q3 DM.

ThrasherX9
3rd Jan 2000, 08:06 PM
actually, UT(unreal engine) isnt at its fullest, it could be alot better, the player models that you play as could look very, very, very, very ect...(x100)realistic, just look at DNF, thats the Unreal engine at its finest.

Kenny
3rd Jan 2000, 08:07 PM
The problem with id software is that their games don't age with the players. They stick with the exact same style, weapons, etc. It would be nice if id would get away from that, and if they actually made a decent game they could make something that's worth taking up space on the shelves for 60 bucks.

johnnyG
3rd Jan 2000, 08:15 PM
good point Thrasher. What I should have said was Q3 doesn't use the graphics nearly as good as UT does and they are both capable of much more though I'm not complaining or anything, both games look great to me. The one thing that Q3 has that UT doesn't is its variety in models. The UT models all pretty much seem the same with just different skins. Unfortunatly for Q3, UT exceeds it in almost everything else though not by much. If I had the money to throw around, I would buy both. But until then I'll stick with the Q3 demo and the retail UT. plus with my 56k I don't think I should be worrying about buying every MP game that comes out cuz I'll just get whooped at them /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif.

Cyberian_2K
3rd Jan 2000, 08:20 PM
Word is that the id software guys are sick of the games themselves. They have hired a sript writer for their next venture which is going to be a single-player game using the Quake 3 engine with some modifications. Can't stop Carmack from coding.

However, JC was quoted earlier as saying that if Q3A does well, they might stick to the multiplayer-only genre.

However, the weapons are definitely gonna receive a major overhaul. The an RL will probably be chucked out for good..

Here's hoping for some innovation

ThrasherX9
3rd Jan 2000, 08:27 PM
i heard that too, that they'll be chucking the RL for GOOD!it is sorta of funny how the rocket launcher has become popular in video games, almost every game has a rocket launcher.

gEOO
3rd Jan 2000, 11:16 PM
When i played Q2, 75% of all my frags came from rockets. But in UT, i find that rockets are good for less situations and choosing appropriate weapons for the situation becomes very important. It's harder to hit with rox, especially with the delay i have. I find myself turning to the plasma gum (#5) or the flak cannon (#8) for more situations now...

ty_Fortune
3rd Jan 2000, 11:34 PM
Most of the Q2->Q3 players that I talk to say that they don't like UT because of the movement. They say it is weird and isn't as responsive as in Quake games. At first I felt the same way after having played Quake games for the past 3 or 4 years. But that's kind of a stupid argument now that I think about it. Of course nothing else feels like quake except- quake(or a quake engine game). Nothing feels like Tribes except- tribes(hate the game). And nothing feels like Unreal except- Unreal(or an Unreal engine game). In order to make a switch you need to be willing to learn and maybe get your butt kicked around a little in the process. Maybe that's why they don't make the switch- they just stick with what they know because there is less of a learning curve.

hal
3rd Jan 2000, 11:36 PM
It's good to hear everyone agree that the RL isn't the end-al be-all of weapons.

As far as Q3 not using its engine to the fullest - that's probably true. Just like UT doesn't use every trick available the engine is capable of. In these days of ever increasing horsepower in the form of silicon, I doubt we'll see a game engine fully exploited by its creators. Take Valve and the Q2 engine...you'd never know it was the same thing.

I think that speeks very highly of Epic that their 5 year old engine is still the best all around in its class.

Anarchon
4th Jan 2000, 11:01 AM
Holy sh*t, this topic is long!
Personally I prefer UT over Q3, because UT simply has cooler maps. The maps in Q3 all have the same feeling and they don't have any kind of theme. I mean where's id's imagination. Where are their idea's?

ThrasherX9
4th Jan 2000, 01:21 PM
this is nothing compared to some other posts. The problem with Q3 i think is it can get boring fast, for me i would play it only when ive played UT to much, which can happen for anyone. Really the only thing Q3 fanboys can say is that Q3 has way more models then UT and Q3 has much better graphics, then it seems they have to keep going and start saying how UT levels arent colorful, they suck, they have no original design, the weapons blow, which is all quite funny, because all that stuff no matter how you look at it is BS. OH well, i will still get Q3 no matter what.

NOTE:i do not have Q3 but have played it on many accounts at my friends house, thank you and have a nice day, or not. /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

hal
4th Jan 2000, 01:55 PM
It's interesting to see people say that Q3 maps suck. I think what people expect from a good DM map has changed. With the Unreal engine's outdoor map capabilities and the popularity of games like Tribes, Rainbow6 and Half-Life, everyone seems to prefer "real-world" arenas.

Q3 maps don't really suck. They are beautifully textured, ingeniously designed and have superb connectivity. They simply don't have the feel that many people like.

I'm tired of fighting in mazes ...no matter how you dress them up. The most memorable UT maps for me resemble a possible "real" place.

DMHypertherion, DMStalwartXL, DMPeak, DOMCondemned, DOMMetalDream, ASOverlord, ASFrigate, CTFLavaGiant, CTFNovember.....all of these are seemingly "real". They stand out and capture your imagination. I just don't get the same feelin when I play Q3's DMWHat'sit'sname.

Just a few opinions.