Microsoft .NET

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DarkBls

Inf Ex-admin
Mar 5, 2000
France
What do you think of the future of the .NET platform ?

Do you bellieve C# will kick the ass of JAVA ?
Maybe INF should be started to be coded in C# :lol:

rgreene

frag bait
Oct 16, 2000
uh.... c# is a peice of total ****. that said however, it could probably kick java's ass (har har har) :) The only true development language for me is c++ (and it'll take a whole lot to change that).

I don't really know all that much about .NET, but I hope Microsoft doesn't plan on making rentable applications with it :rolleyes:

Java is very strong on the server side, mature and proven to be reliable, and multi-platform (more so then the alternatives). I don't think it will be going anywhere soon there.

C# is closer to the Windows API then Java is, so on the client side for gui apps, it probably won't suck as bad as java does. For the most part it looks like a Java clone to me, with a few extra features thrown in. Microsoft has submitted C# to an ECMA committee, so they don't own the language, anyone on another platform can make their own implemantation. A part of .NET's infrastructure might evan show up in a future version of Gnome. Microsoft is also sponsering a .NET port to FreeBSD, but it might be inferior (bait and switch tactic).

C# looks kinda cool, but I'm waiting to see how it performs. Hopefully its fast enough and companies will switch from VB (bah). It'll be interesting.

If the academic version of VS .NET runs around $100, and the Qt classes still work with the new C++ compiler, I might pick it up and check it out.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
C# : as if M$ didn't own control enough ...
They're simply trying to drive Sun & co of the market.

With the java-support gone from XP, that will be pretty easy as most none-programmers will believe anything Bill Gates & co promise ...

MS-history is full of similar examples :
- OS/2 vs Windows
- Netscape vs IE

IMHO C# & .NET is M$'s attempt to control the internet.
They will succeed if everyone swallows all their nonsense ...

What can .Net do that isn't possible with the current protocols ?
Do we really need M$ to tell us how applications should communicate over the internet ???

I don't really know all that much about .NET, but I hope Microsoft doesn't plan on making rentable applications with it

That's exactly what they are trying to do ...

This is the future :
Web services are a new breed of Web application. They are self-contained, self-describing, modular applications that can be published, located, and invoked across the Web. Web services perform functions, which can be anything from simple requests to complicated business processes...Once a Web service is deployed, other applications (and other Web services) can discover and invoke the deployed service
Do you really think ANYONE will do this for free ?

mae2050

If U wanna know Y U get killed, ASK UR SELF
Mar 23, 2001
For the most part it looks like a Java clone to me
by ghostdaemon

First of all, JAVA is a more compact and abstract derivative of C++, U cant even deal with POINTERS in Java.

THANK god M$ is usin sumtin else other than JAVA or they would have run into performance, compatiblity and stability issues.

Java uses the same concepts of C++ but applies to the internet.
So u really cant compare C++ and Java directly. C++ is superior client side and Java is superior with distributed network applications.

Java btw is known to break under heavy USER LOAD. Alot of the applications JAVA is used for, is better handled by CGI and PHP.

First of all, JAVA is a more compact and abstract derivative of C++, U cant even deal with POINTERS in Java.
Thats a bad thing?

THANK god M$ is usin sumtin else other than JAVA or they would have run into performance, compatiblity and stability issues.
Microsoft themselves has had major issues with performance, compatiblity and stablity in the past. I'm skeptical, but it probably will be faster, at least as far as the gui goes.

Java btw is known to break under heavy USER LOAD.
Not on sparcs. I Don't really know about other platforms or VMs - I hear it depends on the VM on other platforms.

Dupre

Code Pimp
May 8, 2000
www.geocities.com
Yes, .NET will kick the ass of Java. Not from a technical standpoint but from a cost perspective, and that is what businesses looks for. Notice I didn't say C# because with .NET's CLR, the language doesn't matter.

Freon

Braaaaiinss...
Jan 27, 2002
France
www.3dfrags.com
C# r0xx j00 (heu ... not sure of the spelling)

- OS/2 vs Windows
- Netscape vs IE
Competition is good: OS are becoming better and better (I love XP) same for browsers.
And it will force Sun to upgrade Java so that it can face C#.

With the java-support gone from XP, that will be pretty easy as most none-programmers will believe anything Bill Gates & co promise ...
I use java under XP, just install the JDK ...

And off course Microsoft is trying to make money, but it's their job ;) you should be happy to spend your money buying a good software package :D

I hope I can have a not-to-expensive sort of Student version in France too.

Freon

Braaaaiinss...
Jan 27, 2002
France
www.3dfrags.com
greeeeeeeeat :D

any idea of the price ?
I looked for it on the visualstudio.net site but haven't found anything

I remember having paid about 100 Euro (650 Francs at the time) for an old Visual Studio (with VC++ 5)

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Originally posted by mae2050
by ghostdaemon
Why would you WANT pointers ?
They're useless unless you want to mess with memory ...
btw : there are 'pointers' in Java ... they just aren't as obvious.
The best advantage : no more 'access violations' because your pointers were pointing at the 'wrong' part of the memory ...

ANY language that is multi-platform will run into performance/compatibility/stability-problems ...
Why ? Because there are millions of combinations to test ...
If platform A has graphics & platform B only has text then you will need to find a way to deal with it. MS can't avoid such a thing unless they simply demand certain things.

Java uses the same concepts of C++ but applies to the internet.
So u really cant compare C++ and Java directly. C++ is superior client side and Java is superior with distributed network applications.

Java btw is known to break under heavy USER LOAD. Alot of the applications JAVA is used for, is better handled by CGI and PHP.
That's not Java's fault. That's either caused by 'bad' code or a lousy virtual machine ...
I can write C code that can crash a computer ... does that make C a bad language ?
Or does one blame the programmer (for writing the bad code) & the OS (for not being able to deal with a single unstable program) ?

CGI simply is a more 'mature' and as a result more reliable technique, you can't blame java-engines for not being up to the same level in the 'short' time it's been available ...

// Freon
I know you can install a 3rd party Java Virtual machine, however the problem is : the average user won't do that just to view a webpage.
Do you really download every available plug-in to view all the webpages ? Or do you say 'Too much work ... ! I'll go somewhere else instead ?'
Never mind the risc you're taking because the plug-in might contain spyware or worse ...
I'm pretty sure no one would have used DirectX-based games if the games didn't install it themselves as it wasn't part of the OS at first ...

Dupre

Code Pimp
May 8, 2000
www.geocities.com
Originally posted by A_Rimmerlister
I know you can install a 3rd party Java Virtual machine, however the problem is : the average user won't do that just to view a webpage.

Sigh. The JDK is the runtime for running Java code on a box. It has nothing to do with JVM for browsers. You take a normal W2K box, throw JDK and a Java-compliant application server on there (Tomcat I think is one), and then you can serve up web pages that run Java code... servlets, right? Some Java developer will probably correct me; can't you tell I'm a Microsoft shop. Anyway, plain, ol' web browsers can surf those pages out of the box.

Catalyst

science begets death
Jul 18, 1999
CA, USA
Why would you WANT pointers ?
They're useless unless you want to mess with memory ...

Not completely true. Sometimes they are useful for dealing with arrays. I'm not familiar with C# so I don't know what application they would have there.

DarkBls

Inf Ex-admin
Mar 5, 2000
France
Originally posted by Catalyst

Not completely true. Sometimes they are useful for dealing with arrays. I'm not familiar with C# so I don't know what application they would have there.

Furthermore completely false !
Pointers are needed to built fast and reliable algorithm. (B-Tree, Open adressed Hash Table, etc..)

Here is a C# stupid windows with a button and a label "control".

Please run it, (only if you don't have the .net framework installed).
Tell me what the executable says.

This executable needs MSCOREE.DLL according to the Visual studio dependency viewer, wich is a .NET framework component.

Well, if I do a c# desktop application, peoples will need to download the whole framework. It is a big download.
hmmm..

Keganator

White as Snow Moderator
Jun 19, 2001
PR's Barracks
www.kegnet.net
..Which mircosoft will 'generously' offer in it's next version of windows.

Gather round, yalls: Here's my prediction in the next 5 years: Windows will look, feel, and act exactly like AOL, including the monthy fee!

"And we owe it all to you, C#!"

*shudder*

Where's my linuxbox... /me breaks out the X-Windows System coding guidelines

Freon

Braaaaiinss...
Jan 27, 2002
France
www.3dfrags.com
Originally posted by A_Rimmerlister

I'm pretty sure no one would have used DirectX-based games if the games didn't install it themselves as it wasn't part of the OS at first ...

you're kidding???
directX rulles, many ppl download it. And it's often given with games.
OpenGL is nearly the same. I remember GLSetup for games using the Q3 engine. It's much bigger than DirectX

Moreover, I use JDK to develop Java programs. The JDK is made by Sun, so I shouldn't find many viruses in it.
And in XP, when you had to view an Applet, je Microsoft Virtual Machine (Java plugin) is downloaded. Here again, you shouldn't fin any virus or whatever ...