PDA

View Full Version : Server not publicly accessible

the_sentinel
4th Feb 2002, 06:47 PM
In trying to start a multiplayer game between myself and a friend next door, he was unable to find my game and join. The first question is whether you need a static IP to host a game? If not, any hints on where I may have gone astray?

The facts:
1) I'm running on a dial-up 56K (don't laugh, DSL is on the way).
2) I _DO NOT_ have a static IP address
3) I did indicate when I started the multiplayer game to "advertise server"
4) In two instances, once with me checking from my friend's house, another time having a UT buddy at work check, my server does not appear in the master server list and neither could join by opening location with the IP address. Oddly enough, _I_ could see my server name in the master list, but they could not. How weird is that?
5) Running 436 UT on WinXP installed off the CD, with maps/textures/etc copied from my work machine.

The questions:
1) Must one have a static IP to serve a multiplayer game?
2) If not, what's the obvious thing I've done wrong or omitted?

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

SpiritWalker
4th Feb 2002, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by the_sentinel

The questions:
1) Must one have a static IP to serve a multiplayer game?
2) If not, what's the obvious thing I've done wrong or omitted?

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

Answers:
1) No.. no static IP is needed..
2) It may be nothing that YOU have done.. it almost sounds as if your ISP (dial up correct) may be blocking requests... to see if I am wrong.. log on to the dial up service.. go to a DOS prompt.. type
IPCONFIG/ALL

you will see your IP addy as well as your default gateway.. write down the IP addy.. call your bud and have him try and ping that addy
to ping go to a DOS prompt
type
ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
if your bud dosn't get anything.. there you go....
LMK if he can.. I will do some checking on dial ups.. what is your SP??
edit
Some thing else.. if you are JUST wanting to play the guy next door (sounds like a ghey joke to me) go to a computer store and get a crossover cable.. then you can network the 2 comps.. if you both have LAN cards.. you prolly do

the_sentinel
5th Feb 2002, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the reply, Spiritwalker.

Pings seem to be coming through cleanly. I had the wife connect at home and I'm able to ping both the gateway and my IP with no problems from work. Next time I'm home during the day, I'll try to get a server running again and make sure that my server still doesn't show on the master list. My ISP (cruzio.com) is a small shop in Santa Cruz that does pretty bland, straight-forward providing as far as I know, no advanced gizmos or bells and whistles.

The buddy next door is a bit too far to run a wire (different house) and I'm not real hip on the idea of setting up my machine as a dial-in server for direct connection as per some of the suggestions I've seen say can be done. I know that it should be simple to serve a tiny little game over the 'Net for 1-2 friends and that's why this was bugging me.

Now that I know there isn't a major technology impediment with the IP addresses, I'll triple-check my setup and try it again. If I still have problems, I'll drop you a line off the list.

Thanks again for the help.

Rukee
6th Feb 2002, 01:06 PM
My server is not listed on all peoples machines as well.
If it is listed in yours...then copy the IP add y from the bottom window of the mulitiplayer screen and give it to your buddy next door.
SW`s right tho....if you could setup a network with a crossover cable to connect the two puters together that would give both of you a great game with no packet loss or ping problems. Then you will start a game(not dedicated) and he would just seach for a LAN game. You can get the LAN cards and cable at staples... I love the Netgear cards...verry easy to use and install and only about $19.00.

the_sentinel
6th Feb 2002, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Rukee
My server is not listed on all peoples machines as well.
If it is listed in yours...then copy the IP add y from the bottom window of the mulitiplayer screen and give it to your buddy next door.
SW`s right tho....if you could setup a network with a crossover cable to connect the two puters together that would give both of you a great game with no packet loss or ping problems. Then you will start a game(not dedicated) and he would just seach for a LAN game. You can get the LAN cards and cable at staples... I love the Netgear cards...verry easy to use and install and only about $19.00.

We've already tried to connect directly to the IP address and it doesn't connect. And this is three times over the course of a couple days. The person I wanted to be able to connect with lives a couple houses away, so I won't be able to network them directly together, as much as I would like to. Also, I don't know if it matters, but this is not set up as a dedicated server because I want to be able to participate in the game. It should work either way, though, shouldn't it?

Rabid Wolf
6th Feb 2002, 02:40 PM
look up in the server's console if it failed to connect to the masters. (there's one that's been taken down since, but you should be able to connect to the others.)
make your buddies refresh their lists of servers.
make sure you got the right max count of players. (if you want 1 friend to join, and it's non-dedicated, then you must set it to 2 or more)
make very sure you're all running the same or at least compatible versions of UT. 436 is the latest for windows. (cause the standard setting for the in-game browser is show only compatibles)
also, if you got custom things up, make sure they are downloadable.

Rukee
6th Feb 2002, 03:35 PM
you can find your machines IP too by clicking RUN then type in winipconfig ??? is that right?? I think that`s it for win98...that will give your the IP of your machine...then start a game and have him join the IP you got from windows.......or find your server from the UT list and click it....in the bottom window should list the IP for the game.
You have a firewall or zonealarm??

you could both use my server....it was down for awhile for hardware reconfiguration but is back up now......
unreal://206.176.217.47

if you want any custom maps or something....or more or less bots...just let me know.

the_sentinel
6th Feb 2002, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Rabid Wolf
look up in the server's console if it failed to connect to the masters. (there's one that's been taken down since, but you should be able to connect to the others.)
make your buddies refresh their lists of servers.
make sure you got the right max count of players. (if you want 1 friend to join, and it's non-dedicated, then you must set it to 2 or more)
make very sure you're all running the same or at least compatible versions of UT. 436 is the latest for windows. (cause the standard setting for the in-game browser is show only compatibles)
also, if you got custom things up, make sure they are downloadable.

We're all running 436, refreshed servers a couple times, tried to connect by opening the IP directly, and I'm running only the default map rotation right now. I'll check the ~ console next time I try this out. Do error and failure messages just log to the console?

I'll save the question about how to make sure files are downloadable for another thread.

Thanks!

the_sentinel
6th Feb 2002, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Rukee
you can find your machines IP too by clicking RUN then type in winipconfig ??? is that right?? I think that`s it for win98...that will give your the IP of your machine...then start a game and have him join the IP you got from windows.......or find your server from the UT list and click it....in the bottom window should list the IP for the game.
You have a firewall or zonealarm??

you could both use my server....it was down for awhile for hardware reconfiguration but is back up now......
unreal://206.176.217.47

if you want any custom maps or something....or more or less bots...just let me know.

I got the address from the server list and off the XP dial-up details and from IPCONFIG. I have no firewall or zonealarm software installed, but I _think_ XP has some rudimentary firewall capability built in (don't quote me on that as I could be just talking out my ass).

Thank you for offering your server. I wanted to connect with my young nephew and play some cooperative CTF without him getting his little booty kicked by all the 'Net animals.

SpiritWalker
6th Feb 2002, 04:37 PM
but I _think_ XP has some rudimentary firewall capability built in (don't quote me on that as I could be just talking out my ass).

you are.. :p
but only insomuch as that the Firwall has to be installed...it is there though.. check in the IRC channel tonight.. someone can help you

Rukee
7th Feb 2002, 08:55 AM

I got the address from the server list and off the XP dial-up details and from IPCONFIG. I have no firewall or zonealarm software installed, but I _think_ XP has some rudimentary firewall capability built in (don't quote me on that as I could be just talking out my ass).

Thank you for offering your server. I wanted to connect with my young nephew and play some cooperative CTF without him getting his little booty kicked by all the 'Net animals.
But you could use this server just to be sure that both machines are able to connect with a working sever. If you want I could do CTF for a couple days....

/me shudders

did I just say that?? :p