I Challenge Thee, great mappers of the world

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

this ODM (One Day Map) idea...

• it sounds great, I'll start with my first ODM right away

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • hmmm I dunno. Does it pay?

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • I can't build a nice map within 24 hours, so screw you

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • stupid idea, you glittering idiot!

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
I Challenge Thee 2 build the best map in no more than 24 hours.

I was getting really sick and bored of screwing around in the same map I'm working on 4 so long, so I decided to build only small map's from now on. Each map must have something special, like a nice decoration or at least it's very own style.

Then I thought it would be fun to make a competition out of it. The rules I figured can be something like this:
- The map must be build within 24 hours after starting with an empty map (you can cheat of course, but I expect you all to play fair)
- New textures, Scripts, Sounds, Meshes etc. can only be stored in “mylevel”
- The level must be completely finished including a screenshot.

The rating would be determined by a number of issues like: the originality, style, playability etc. the rating would go from 0 to 10 points where 0 = an empty map and 10 = a perfect map, with perfect lighting, perfect texture usage / panning, perfect botpathing, perfect ambient sound, perfect weapon / pickup placements and settings, etc. etc. etc. (of course the size doesn’t matter that much, because you can’t build a large complex map within such a small time limit. Just make sure everything is adjusted to the fact that it’s a small map (like the perfect player count, the respawn time of the pickups etc.)

The only thing I’m not sure of yet is if we can combine the gametypes. I think we can start with all gametypes, and if it turns out you can’t really compare them, maybe we’d have to add some extra rules, for example, if you build a ctf or dom or something, you get 6 hours extra.

you can download my first ODM at my site
However, I was interrupted by this idea, so my botpaths aren't totally finished, like, the bots don't use the jumboots to get 2 the redeemer etc. but it's a ODM map and my time is up:D

ChrisToth.hu

Level Designer
Oct 2, 2000
Atlantis
The theme should be fixed and announced on the start of the compo..

This solves the problem of cheating and the gametypes will be compareable as well.

and the one that decides what the theme is can't join in. Or we could give each other themes on wich you'd have to build a map, but that spoils all the fun, then it should pay:).

So maybe it isn't such a good idea, but creating small maps does keep my head more clear and gives me more good results than messing around in a never ending map. Also, if you build a few small maps you could get examples with real nice ambience which you can use to build a normal medium size map.

my problem is that I have a million ideas of what to create and I can never make it all happen becouse it's far to much work. Also a problem is that I want all this stuff I think of to be in the map I'm currently working on and that's just not the way to create a map. That way things keep piling up till the end is totally out of sight and I get all frustrated:D
so the idea behind a one day map I guess is that I don't have to worry at night about all the things still need to be done in my map
and I can get a good night sleep:D:D:D

combitz

Common sense is not that common
May 1, 2000
U.K
combitz.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
LOL at the poll results

That was a mighty big target you put on your back Ren.

I think it would be better if it was set to 4 hours over the weekend. that way you can set theme and texture set. It would just be a speed modelling session, COOL. That i'd be up for;)

Also just like the speed modelling sessions you have to post "I'm in" when you start and post again with your map and screen shot when you finish.

Just a thought!:p

OshadowO

Irregular
Feb 10, 2000
CA
so is this thing open to us lurkers too or are you guys doing more of an internal weeding out process whereby the loosers would wear a purple highlighted goatee with a moustache on top of their heads painted bright firey red with a hint of an afro in between?
BTW I like combitz' idea of a charette as a format for this:)

combitz

Common sense is not that common
May 1, 2000
U.K
combitz.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
OshadowO: The more, the better the sessions will work. Its just a learning curve and a good excuse to show what you can do in a short space of time. Its not a competition just a way of expanding your abilities to make scenes. If people cheat they only cheat themselves, ie all brushes have to be made within the time limit NO prefabs etc..

Ren Höek: You need to start the ball rolling and more people will join in. This weekend sounds good to me.

Oh can the session use standard texture packs only, as this will stop people screaming for extra textures. Or maybe thats what the majority want.

more views welcome.............>

Originally posted by combitz

Ren Höek: You need to start the ball rolling and more people will join in. This weekend sounds good to me.
sure thing pal, however, as you can see in my latest thread, I'm really busy redoing all the botpaths of al the basic ut maps... JK, but it is fun you know.

Oh can the session use standard texture packs only, as this will stop people screaming for extra textures. Or maybe that’s what the majority want.

actually you have to create all the textures yourself, also sounds and models must be self-made, Hell, why not build your OHWN GAME in a DAY?! THAT SHOULDN'T BE SO HARD!!

no, actually if I work on a map seriously, and I want all brushes to be very original I can spent a whole day on creating just one cave or hallway. besides the explanation I gave earlier, the idea really came to me when I gave Dexter II comment on his beta map, I said I could have build that map of his, just 2 test something out. I felt kinda guilty and thought I had to prove it.

however, maybe I'm on this weekend, (I work on Saturday, so my weekend is a little shorter, but just one Sunday should do) but still, I think you should gain extra points if you have a good botpath, but you should be able to complete your map without a good one (you should have at least one pathnode or something:)) Pathing takes far more time because it requires testing..... at least........ maybe I have to learn some more..... maybe there are actually some of you who can create a perfect botpath without testing it ones... hehe

BUT if botpath's don't matter, you can more easily choose to build a CTF or DOM