PDA

View Full Version : Why the **** does this happen

Bot_40
31st Jan 2002, 02:38 PM
UED seems to like pissing me off lately lol. Can anyone explain why this happens:

Bot_40
31st Jan 2002, 02:43 PM
And no it is not a problem with the surface itself. They seem to appear randomly throughout the map every time I rebuild lighting.

I have tried low shadow detail, high shadow detail, both high and low shadow detail, bright corners, and 'flush' but they keep appearing throughout the map. I just have to keep on rebuilding lighting till they appear out of sight instead of in the main play area (which can take up to 10 rebuilds @ 5 mins per lighting rebuild :hmm:)

Here's another :tdown:

[CD]Icedude
31st Jan 2002, 04:34 PM
try changing the scale of the texture, this happens on large surfaces set to a small scale (less than 0.25) for me

Bot_40
31st Jan 2002, 04:45 PM
The texture scale is about 1 (aligned to floor, no extra scaling)

bobtheking
31st Jan 2002, 05:14 PM
that looks like what happened when i had bsp holes that made the engine think there was a solid there, so the light dosent go through the supposedly solid area

RedEye(Co30)
31st Jan 2002, 08:05 PM
5 minutes for a lighting rebuild! Either you've got a slow system or a massive map. Or both :)

Bot_40
1st Feb 2002, 08:45 AM
both :lol:

Chrysaor
1st Feb 2002, 09:31 AM
I think the engine just generates it's own brushes everyonce in awhile. Rebuild the BSP and you should be fine. After that they typically move:rolleyes: or go away. If they don't go away edit a vertex that cuts near it.

Varpu
1st Feb 2002, 10:24 AM
This is just a wild quess:

I have noticed that in certain circumstances these can be a result of invisible collision hulls. Just try it out; if You fly where the shadow casting element would be, do You have one in there ?

Bot_40
1st Feb 2002, 10:31 AM
There doesn't seem to be any collision errors in those areas. The smudges seem to appear round the map in random places after each lighting rebuild.
Maybe it's something to do with the amount of polys on that terrain brush? Those screens are from 2 different terrain brushes that make up the terrain for the map, one has 429 polys and the other has 423.

Chrysaor
1st Feb 2002, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Bot_40
There doesn't seem to be any collision errors in those areas. The smudges seem to appear round the map in random places after each lighting rebuild.
Maybe it's something to do with the amount of polys on that terrain brush? Those screens are from 2 different terrain brushes that make up the terrain for the map, one has 429 polys and the other has 423.

I'd scrap the whole project.

Zarkazm
2nd Feb 2002, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by Chrysaor

I'd scrap the whole project.

Grrrr...

Bot_40
2nd Feb 2002, 05:59 AM
lol

Chrysaor
2nd Feb 2002, 11:39 AM
Seriously did you get the Interpolation points all figured out and such?

Evil_Cope
2nd Feb 2002, 01:05 PM
ive spotted some in my huge terrain map...

mines at night though and i havent really done the lighting yet...

but far as i know, my map is twice the size of bots (yers is two 8192 cube terrains atm aint it? mines 4) and my computer is generally worse. though it recently got upgraded to 191 meg of ram or so.

it certainly doesnt take 5 minutes to rebuild lighting. or anywhere near.

hmm.

actually, ive rebuilt the lighting on your map....it took no-where near 5 minutes...

Bot_40
2nd Feb 2002, 03:59 PM
lol, don't know why it takes so long on mine. Prolly cuz I have several IE's, Media player and mIRC open at the same time lol

Bot_40
2nd Feb 2002, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Chrysaor
Seriously did you get the Interpolation points all figured out and such?

No, this problem is in a ctf map I'm working on. I got the intro fixed now btw :)

Chrysaor
2nd Feb 2002, 10:37 PM

No, this problem is in a ctf map I'm working on. I got the intro fixed now btw :)
Cool Beans.

StoneViper
3rd Feb 2002, 01:26 AM

No, this problem is in a ctf map I'm working on. I got the intro fixed now btw :) how did you get it fixed¿ I read somewhere that you shouldn't have more than 500 sides to any single brush. but if it's anything like the zone amount limit of 64, problems may start happening at like 450 sides (or 60 zones).

Bot_40
3rd Feb 2002, 04:45 AM
See the 'How to fix this problem thread' for how I fixed the other problem (I really did this time :p)
In this map, I have approx 15 zones (I'm not waiting 15mins for a full rebuild to get the exact number :)). Nowhere near the zone limit anyways.
I think I recall epic saying somewhere that you shouldn't have more than 500 polys per brush too :hmm:

GoldenMouse
14th Feb 2002, 03:21 PM
that could be it, could it also be too many lights in that zone?

Bot_40
14th Feb 2002, 04:34 PM
Hmmm, I never tought of that actually. There aren't an excessive about of lights there though.
And cope says he's had this problem with his map, I think it has less lights than mine. I'll have a mess about with it.

Call me Erdrik
15th Feb 2002, 10:53 AM
mmm My new Map has 11 2048x2048x2048 Terrain Brushes each with an 8x8 grid and I haven't got ANY lighting problems....

but try what Chrysaor said if you haven't already

Rebuild the BSP and you should be fine. After that they typically move or go away. If they don't go away edit a vertex that cuts near it.

Oh! Bot I have a Pic at home of a waterfall I think You'll love ;) Ill post it soon for ya :D

Bot_40
15th Feb 2002, 04:56 PM
lol, k. I just added another waterfall to StoneForts][ btw. It's even bigger than all the others put together AND it's underground :D