PDA

View Full Version : CTF-Boomerang my new CTF map

Squirrel4
27th Jan 2002, 12:49 AM
Attached is my new CTF map. It is nearly done, a few tweaks here and there, such as some bot pathing with the mine cars and the sky box. Looking for some great feedback from you guys to help me make it an awesome map.

Squirrel4
27th Jan 2002, 12:51 AM
it didn't attach file let me try again

Chrysaor
27th Jan 2002, 01:30 AM
Tone down the ScaleGlow on teh LightBoxes near the flags...

Make some indentions along the sides of the flag buidling, to spruce(sp?) it up a bit...

Poly counts from that tower are ludicrous...

That's about it, I mean it feels a little boxy but it's really pretty good:)

Squirrel4
27th Jan 2002, 02:08 AM
thanks for the info, will definately turn down the scaleglow. I was wondering what tool to use to find out the poly count in certain areas. I have tried stat global but it doesn't seem to give just the normal poly count... or does it? I didn't want to place stuff on the sides of the buildings since I knew the poly count was going to be a bit high, I may tone down the terrain a bit.

Chrysaor
27th Jan 2002, 10:56 AM
I think if you made the trim on the doorways flush with the walls it would help, but there really aren't any problem areas, you just have too much to look at. Type "stat fps" in the console btw.

AMmayhem
28th Jan 2002, 04:45 PM
Sweet map!! I think it's pretty cool. My only gripes about it:

1. Where's the pulse gun? You've got ammo for it lying around, but no gun.

2. I didn't see any bots using the sniping spot. Not that it takes away from the fighting, especially dodging the rockets (even worse with rocket booster on :eek: ) already.

3. It's not that big of deal, but I'd switch the ripper for the minigun.

Other wise this map rocks. I'm jealous.

Chrysaor
28th Jan 2002, 04:52 PM
It's possible that the bots don't use the sniper spot cuz they don't spawn near it(?) and the upper hallways are too narrow. I also noticed there was a green body somewhere that I forgot to mention.

Squirrel4
28th Jan 2002, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the info so far. About the pulse ammo, I had the pulse gun in there but took it out, left the ammo at the dead bodies though on accident... will fix. The bots use to snipe, I will check to see if they do. I was wondering how to make it so the bots know that certain elevators only go a certain way. For instance, the elevators at the back of the sniper nests only takes people down but sometimes bots wait at the bottom for it, also at the mine cars the bots sometimes wait at the wrong end for a car... any ideas there?

RigorMortis
28th Jan 2002, 05:19 PM
killer.

may i suggest brightening up the light sources a tad so they look more like they are actually giving off light.

i dont play CTF so i cant judge the gameplay, but i do like the idea of having that center building house both flags and the facing buildings on either end being sniping posts and weapon areas... maybe a layer of panning transperent clouds in the skybox to add some animation up there,,, very still up there right now.

p.s. i like the way you connected to two sniper posts... for those who wonder what im talking about, you'll just have to D/L the map i guess:p

RigorMortis
28th Jan 2002, 05:21 PM
p.s. path the mine cars just like you would an elevator, with lift exits on either end and a lift center at key0 only. match tags etc. the only reason i can see a bot waiting at the wrong end for a lift is if theres a lift center at the destination keyframe... i dunno tho.

Squirrel4
29th Jan 2002, 08:40 PM
So far I have improved the skybox a bit, pathed the bots a tad better (they now use the mine cars better and more often) and improved the lighting a bit. I will release an updated version in probably a day, I am also almost done with another CTF I am going to post here in a couple days. Any last comments on my map will be great.

StoneViper
30th Jan 2002, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Squirrel4
thanks for the info, will definately turn down the scaleglow. I was wondering what tool to use to find out the poly count in certain areas. I have tried stat global but it doesn't seem to give just the normal poly count... or does it? I didn't want to place stuff on the sides of the buildings since I knew the poly count was going to be a bit high, I may tone down the terrain a bit.
heres a little website i jacked from somewhere and copied it to my HDD, you can download for own good, this is full of different commands to use.

Freakish
31st Jan 2002, 12:11 AM
Great map! I don't have any beefs with it..I think the gameplay will be great..and that's what I care about. :)

Freakish
5th Feb 2002, 06:44 PM
Let us know when you're done with this one! And when you're done..head over to www.stealthdp.com and upload it..w00t!

Squirrel4
6th Feb 2002, 11:07 PM
Ok, the map is finally done. I haven't done that much major from what I previously released, helped the ai a bit, improved lighting in a couple areas. I have uploaded the map to stealthdp's site and hope you guys vote for it if you like it (it isn't available for vote yet). THanks for all the input.

Freakish
7th Feb 2002, 12:03 AM
It has to be requested for vote..and it will be. Chances are one of the admins will just stick it straight into next week's rotation if they like it though. Thanks for uploading it!

StoneViper
7th Feb 2002, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by Freakish
It has to be requested for vote..and it will be. Chances are one of the admins will just stick it straight into next week's rotation if they like it though. Thanks for uploading it!
i don't think my map was ever voted for (CTF-ForbiddenFieldsSE). I saw it go straight into rotation.

Freakish
7th Feb 2002, 04:01 PM
:D They can be cool like that..

LXIXGTO
7th Feb 2002, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Squirrel4
So far I have improved the skybox a bit, pathed the bots a tad better (they now use the mine cars better and more often) and improved the lighting a bit. I will release an updated version in probably a day, I am also almost done with another CTF I am going to post here in a couple days. Any last comments on my map will be great.
How about the new file so we can try it out? :D

:biorifle:

:cool:

LXIXGTO
7th Feb 2002, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Freakish
Let us know when you're done with this one! And when you're done..head over to www.stealthdp.com and upload it..w00t!
Too bad that stealthdp.com only supports CTF maps. :( :rolleyes:

:redeemer:

:p

Freakish
7th Feb 2002, 09:53 PM
Hehe..well the site DOES center around a capture the flag server..:) Straight from the news though (quite a while back..):
------
Map Update
StealthDP - Thursday, January 3, 2002
We have received numerous requests for the map upload system to be available to developers of map types other than CTF. While we cannot automate the upload of non-CTF maps at this time, we will provide a page for various types of maps to be downloaded. Email your deathmatch, assault, etc. maps to maps@stealthdp.com.

The new site will have upload capabilities for all map types.
------
Attention DM Mappers
MadMikey - Wednesday, January 9, 2002
We've had quite a few requests from DeathMatch mappers to host DM Maps as well. While we're not going to provide an automated upload system, we are ready to receive DM maps. Contact me (madmikey@stealthdp.com) for more information on where to upload your maps.
-------

So that's sort of conflicting..I'll try to find out for you guys which to use..because they DO accept other maps..they're just not ready to have a nifty system set up.

Horton'sWho
7th Feb 2002, 10:34 PM
And in the meanwhile... build CTF maps!!!

:D

LXIXGTO
7th Feb 2002, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Horton'sWho
And in the meanwhile... build CTF maps!!!

:D
Nah, I've never been a big fan of CTF.
In fact, I'd rather play DOM that CTF.
But there are few active DOM servers these days. :(

:biorifle:

:o

Freakish
9th Feb 2002, 07:52 PM
update on the non-CTF map issue at stealthdp's playgound..
http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=103958