"Slightly" modified version of something Tiffy suggested in another thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

FiringAimlessly

NOT going to waste another minute on CS!
Sep 18, 2001
Get rid of the health bar.

If you're hit in a non-instantly-fatal area (headshots would of course still lead to instant incapacitation), upon the moment you receive the shot and every 30 seconds after you will have a chance of becoming incapacitated, the probability rate depending on location, distance, armour and type/calibre of the bullet. If you're hit a second time, you'll have that chance then and every 30 seconds after that shot as well as every 30 seconds after the first, but for every roll the probability would be that of both shots combined. Same goes for third, fourth, etc. If you stay still someone (could even be an opponent, but the chances of that are negligible) could come up to you and hold on to the Use key to patch you up, lowering the incapacitation probability more and more according to how long the helper takes (but the probability can never reach zero unless you had only received a minor scratch and the total probability without bandaging was a very small number to begin with)

When you receive a "successful" incapacitation roll, you should quickly start slowing down, your vision rapidly darkens and your weapon (and eventually your view) should constantly start dropping and require you to raise it manually. Once your screen goes black, you drop your weapon and hear a thud as your body slumps to the ground.

(unrelated to damage system, figured I should add it anyway) Every time you are hit your aim should momentarily go WAY off, but hipping would not be necessary. For about half a second after getting shot you can sprint regardless of current stamina (but sprinting for that time might increase the incapacitation probability a tiny bit).

EDIT: the other thread

2_SeeK_U

uni.... meh...
l like the idea, just forget the intervals.....just have a guy with a medic pack and his load out (bulk = 2) and be able to patch people at anytime.
But lets say you were hit in the leg, we should make visibility about 95% and the movment should be afair bit slower.
Same as if you were hit in the arm, your aim is slower and when you shoot the recoil should be more( l would think after being shot in the arm it would be hard to keep a M16 straight after a few shots.
And yes get rid of the health bar??? well yes and no, l like looking at my health level, but usually you would die or live after being in a fight so the actual bar shouldn't be there
Although in single player yes but not multiplayer.

FiringAimlessly

Sep 18, 2001
just forget the intervals
- Without the intervals the incapacitation check could result in a considerable lag increase (both client and server-side), and to keep people from dropping like flies 3 seconds after every hit no matter how minor or critical the probability would have to be pretty low to begin with, making it not much of an improvement over a traditional percentage-health system...

FiringAimlessly

Sep 18, 2001
One of the main reasons I wanted to give this its own thread was that some of the points, of implemented correctly, would give INF an unprecedented ability for an FPS to blur that line between "alive" and "dead" that seems so arbitrary and unnervingly clear-cut in all FPS's to this point... it annoys me to no end to get into a firefight, shoot, get hit a few times and just suddenly have my view change to sideways or third-person without any warning whatsoever aside from maybe the lag I experience with the abrupt view change...

GenoOfTheCrayon

l33t 14 year old with an iron sight RC50
Sep 30, 2001
Middleof Nowhere
Visit site
I got some ideas for this:

-When you're being shot at and you get enough to kill you, if you didn't get shot in the head, your screen should get a little red and you should fall to the floor but the camera STICKS to your face so you fall down and you are looking at the floor or something, sorta like in MoHAA.
-Make it so when you get hurt enough it does the weapon view dropping and blacking out but at the intervals it checks for if you just drop your gun and fall.
-Players should keep bandages in their loadouts to patch up their friends, and the bandages are 1 bulk each.
-Players should be able to patch themselves up by selecting the bandages and pressing the secondary fire key.
-Once bandaged, the effects (slowing, blacking out, and view dropping) are still there, you just cant drop onto the floor unconcious.
-If you are critically wounded you should still have a chance to lose conciousness even when you are bandaged. The chance you will go unconcious is less though.
-If you go unconcious early in the match then later in the round you can get back up, but you can still go unconcious and the effects of being wounded are still there.
-While unconcious you have a 5% chance of dying. It checks this little die roll every 15 seconds.

That's all I can think of right now.

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
Combine it with my random damage system and you get perfection.

what i want to see is a system of damage variables, since the human body is far to complex to properly model the damage it may be easier to use a system like the following.

zones:
the usual stuff
-head, 500pct
-arms, 50pct
-torso, 100pct
-legs, 75pct

weapon specific damage, these are examples of the damage ranges the weapons do.
-mp5n, 5-25 damage
-m9, 4-20 damage
-m16, 12-35 damage
-sig551, 10-32 damage

now every hit automatically does twice the damage to stamina that means double tapping is far more effective then hitting somebody twice over a period of time.
You pass out if stamina or hp hit 0
If HP are below 25 stamina no longer increases, it decreases, so do hp.
you die if hp hit -10

mix and serve cold, perfection.

FiringAimlessly

Sep 18, 2001
Well, the system I outlined would only have randomness in incapacitation and not health, Fur's still uses a percentage-health system.

More amendments to my suggestion:
After the first bigger-than-a-graze-but-not-instantly-fatal shot, the incapacitation probability increase by subsequent shots is actually a little less, but all this time the person's probability (I'll just call it P) has been steadily increasing due to bleeding... Every hit will also affect stamina, and if stamina hits its minimum if one tries to sprint or is hit P increases a little more and the check is made again. Hits could never bring P to 100%; however, bleeding can and, without bandaging, will.