PDA

View Full Version : what do you like most?

l3hmi
21st Jan 2002, 01:55 PM
what singleplayer"style" is your favorite?

do you like to be lost and totally alone, just you and your enemies in the level...

or do you like being together with some backup and fight in a team (not coop i mean bots)

Call me Erdrik
21st Jan 2002, 02:00 PM
I like both actualy.

l3hmi
21st Jan 2002, 02:01 PM
woopps... there comes option 3 into my mind :/

Chrysaor
21st Jan 2002, 07:02 PM
I don't like HL.

MrFawn
22nd Jan 2002, 03:43 AM
I like best playing with bots, because then its not so scary :D

TheRealFluffy
24th Jan 2002, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by MrFawn
I like best playing with bots, because then its not so scary :D
Can you actually play with bots???? I'll try that, I'm easely scared :D

Mxtrmntr
24th Jan 2002, 12:36 PM
I love scary games (*cough*Thief*cough*), and I didn't play too many SP games yet with bots accompanying me... HL's guards (and Opposing Force's soldiers) were fun to play with tho... as long as they didn't stop following you because they somehow weren't able to run around a corner or so, which happened... erm, often. :)

DavidM
26th Jan 2002, 05:45 PM
its all about contrasts
good games need both

after lots of scary stuff (alone) you are happy to have someone with you

like in unreal when you are in the temple so long, you are happy to get out of it....a wide outdoorsection, daylight, you feel save again...

[CD]Icedude
26th Jan 2002, 06:00 PM
TEAMS! its easier to kill bosses if you have backup

thechief7
27th Jan 2002, 01:14 PM
I like being by myself, it gives the feeling of isolation which creates a cooler atmosphere
That's what made Unreal so cool was that you were by yourself on this huge, strange planet

DavidM
27th Jan 2002, 01:16 PM
yeah
thats what makes it so scary

but dont you think a contrast would be good?
from time to time you would be happy not to be alone

Mxtrmntr
27th Jan 2002, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by DavidM
yeah
thats what makes it so scary

but dont you think a contrast would be good?
from time to time you would be happy not to be alone

pimping ONP's friendly mercenaries? ;)

No, anyway, it's quite cool to have someone who helps you from time to time in an sp game... it allows tactics, and, if it's made good, you also care for them. Opposing Force, despite its AI flaws, is a good example (even if you don't like HL); tho, you didn't really care for the other soldiers, but it was cool to have some helping forces around from time to time.

DavidM
27th Jan 2002, 03:15 PM
i dont care for ppl who are too dumb to climb a staircase

Mxtrmntr
27th Jan 2002, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by DavidM
i dont care for ppl who are too dumb to climb a staircase

rofl :D

that's not opfor's only problem... ppl who just don't want to enter certain rooms are quite annoying too... anyway, they were fun to play with as long as there wasn't anything you had to climb on -- or too many doors...

DavidM
27th Jan 2002, 03:28 PM
but since there were always stairs....and doors....pillars (all big hindrances) it was never fun 0_o

Mxtrmntr
27th Jan 2002, 03:33 PM
If you were patient enough, had a lot of time and didn't get tired of pressing the <E> (= use) button, it even could be fun! :D

thechief7
27th Jan 2002, 07:07 PM
I guess it just depends on the level and what type of environment you want with Unreal
It worked good with Half-Life, even though they were dumba$$es and only followed for about 10 ft.

Rukee
30th Jan 2002, 02:28 PM
I just got HL CS and it won`t even load onto my puter......
damn windows!!

Zarkazm
4th Feb 2002, 04:28 PM
teamplay rocks!

Hourences
4th Feb 2002, 04:54 PM
combination, running trough an alien complex with 3 people, some vehicles parts on the outside ****, trying too back eachother up, and then some parts where you have too split up, 1 guy tries too activate something, the other guards the vehicle, and the 3th tries too keep a hallway free and searchs ammo and other ****

that kinda stuff, uberleet

Zarkazm
4th Feb 2002, 05:32 PM
I guess NeoCairo has the potential for this stuff. Depends on good maps though.

It would be cool if you had, say a few soldiers with various weapons/equipment, and one piloting a mech or something. The mech wouldn't be able to enter most buildings of course, so it'd be used to guard some strategically important point. The other team could try to destroy the mech by way of a rocket launcher.

Or air support! One team member flies far overhead and acts as reconaissence and gives fire support, forcing the enemy to stay under cover.

Maps could be designed so each team can choose how many aircraft, mechs or soldiers with this'n'that equipment they send into battle. Would be fun if one team chooses three flyers only to find the enemy uses no vehicles and sneaks into the combat zone under conver, the flyers make three loops and then two return to their starting point to reequip themselves; one takes a mech now, the other chooses a flamethrower. Unfortunately they will both arrive late for the party.

thechief7
5th Feb 2002, 01:03 AM
Is Neo Cairo intended for single player?

Zarkazm
5th Feb 2002, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by thechief7
Is Neo Cairo intended for single player?

I was thinking it had an sp part, but I may be wrong. I may have run astray a bit with my last post though. Wasn't really talking about sp, but more how I'd like mp.
Although you could apply the concept to sp as well, even better I guess 'cos you can control the actions of the pawns. So you can force them to follow certain strategies that allow the player to get through a level by clever tactics, where the bots could in theory just overrun the player with a mass assault.

NeoNite
2nd Mar 2005, 11:52 AM
Teh Bumpz

As for single player, I don't like having teammate bots around. They're always annoying.
So I prefer doing things all by myself.

Then again, I prefer Coop games over SP these days.
If you play with a bunch of people who work like a team, coop is extremily fun.

Kantham
2nd Mar 2005, 12:26 PM
Sish , i am going alone from here.

I don't like HL

I don't like HL,HL2,CS,CS:S and nerdz around it.

AMmayhem
2nd Mar 2005, 12:37 PM
Teh Bumpz

As for single player, I don't like having teammate bots around. They're always annoying.
So I prefer doing things all by myself.

If they can make some good teammate bots, it could work really well. But going alone adds a lot to the atmosphere as well. Knowing that no one has your back and anything that moves is likely to be attacking you. :eek:

NeoNite
2nd Mar 2005, 05:26 PM
I'm just not too keen on AI teammates surrounding me in SP games.
They always tend to mess up something important.

Then again, I haven't played any of the latest shooters yet.
I wonder what the AI is like in Killzone...

Manticore
2nd Mar 2005, 06:02 PM
Single player or co-op is good but bots always come across as really artificial as AI just can't go that extra step.

I've always liked SP games generally as they are more of an adventure/orienteering thing; with weapons.

I hate HL and always have.

Who likes short shorts? ;)

NeoNite
2nd Mar 2005, 07:49 PM
I quite liked playing through Half life.
It had a pretty long single player campaign.

Some units were very enjoyable. "Blast pit", "Surface tension", "Forget about freeman" in particular.

It's true about the OF teammate AI. They're retarded and completely useless.
And what's the point playing through Opposing force twice. It has an ultra ****ty ending. (talking about what happens after you've defeated the boss).
Why bother, right.

Manticore
3rd Mar 2005, 12:58 AM
The reason I didn't like HL wasn't the gameplay or the "adventure" it was the engine. It was a bug ridden piece of crap that the developers NEVER fixed major issues with in patches over the years. Because of that I would never buy a game from these people again as I couldn't guarantee myself proper support as a user (and neither could they).

On another note, speaking of SP, I've just started playing QuakeII again as I hadn't bothered to uninstall it after the last play through. That game has some A1 maps for SPlay... Excellant layouts etc.

NeoNite
3rd Mar 2005, 11:48 AM
If only the enemy wasn't that easy to kill.

Kantham
3rd Mar 2005, 12:09 PM
I deleted Quake 2 from my computer a long time ago.

I mush agree i loved this game , i played it for around 2 years , but since i never understanded q3radiant , i gived up.

The SP playability is exelent in quake 2 , what i have seen in goldeneye (wish has ben a VERY popular game) was worse , when the AI is on the Z platform in falicity , and he act like if there's a wall. That sucked , plus they said behind the package.

Exiting 3-D environment

Exiting , no.

Ok. Acording this game is pretty old , the environment was clean and runed pretty well. But now , this is just history.

Highly inteligent enemies!

No. Just no.

Numerous Q gadgets and weapons!

There is plenty of weapon in Goldeneyes , as you know (if you already played the game) there are lots of explosives , and 9 caliber guns.For the gadgets , they are simple , compare to the hook phone in ''Nightfire''

Battery-backed memory saves game progress!

LOL , just LOL.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

For quake 2 now

Larger Mission-Based Levels

I don't played quake 1 much , but i am pretty sure it does.

In-Your-Face Sound and Grafics

That's sure , if we compare it to quake 1 , the sound and the 3D feeling are not the same.
Superior Artificial Intelligence

They played very good indeed , the light guards was my favorite ones , I loved to have a lots of em in a sigle room , and using the Chaingun , or the Solo shotgun.

It also says that this game is the best of the year , and the best pc shoter on the net.
before it was yes , at least

NOT WHEN UT99 WAS OUT !!!!!!! :-)

NeoNite
3rd Mar 2005, 04:55 PM
Obviously, since Quake2 was released in 1997...

Manticore
3rd Mar 2005, 05:46 PM
Obviously, since Quake2 was released in 1997...
Those were the days...... and then came Unreal. ;)

NeoNite
5th Mar 2005, 01:27 PM
Well, I've never abandoned Quake2. Despite the bad criticism the single player campaign received, I didn't care.

Quite a fine game to play, Quake2.
Although I wish the enemy were more challenging.
I'm talking about the retail game.

There are some custom mappacks which offer a challenge.
"Powersphere quest" is one of them.
Easy skill is for single player games.
Medium and higher is for coop.

See, you start fighting boss monsters at the start of the level...
But hey, it's a very nice mappack.

Btw, Manticore, have you played (m)any custom doom2 levels?
:B

Manticore
5th Mar 2005, 07:00 PM
Btw, Manticore, have you played (m)any custom doom2 levels?
:B
I have a few discs full of custom WAD's whcih run into the hundreds so I suppose you can lean in the direction of many on that one. Some which are more source port-specific than others.

Last time I downloaded some custom WAD's I found a set based on "Star Wars: Dark Forces" maps; of all things.

There is always SLIGE.......

NeoNite
6th Mar 2005, 06:33 AM
Oh, I was wondering if you might happen to have the following level(paks).

1) First one is called BHS_DooM2. A school doom levelpak.
Slim chance you'll have it, but I'll ask it anyway.

2) Now this is a difficult one. I forgot the name, I can only describe it.

Setting: Mine (mainly).
You start at the top, outside. You enter the "mine", and descend.
You follow a couple of staircases I think.
Finally, you end up in a hallway which is divided by pillars.
Now, the hallway isn't that big. When you exit it, there's this HUGE open area.
(There are two large lifts taking you down).
BUT, also at the end off the hallway, there are two cyberdemons in cages.

So, you have to seek cover behind the pillars in order to dodge the incoming rockets and make your way to the big open area.
There are two eh... small towers. One has a red key.

I've played this level as a solo wad, but it was also part of a wadpak.

I really hope any of this sounds familiar to you :B I've been seeking and seeking this levels for years now...
(I don't give up easily heh)

Manticore
6th Mar 2005, 04:26 PM
Actually I have one or two levels that have schools in them. In a couple of days, when I've got some free time, I'll dredge through my CD's and see what's there.

The mine level is less easy to place but I do have some levels with huge (and I mean HUGE) open areas......

I'll get back to you.

NeoNite
6th Mar 2005, 05:09 PM
Ok, tnx I appreciate it ^_^

Manticore
13th Mar 2005, 05:21 AM
Neonite. The only .wad I could find with a BH prefix is actually for a wild west type TC called "Boothill" which contains new sprites etc. which all have BH prefixed packages.

As for schools there is a one level .wad I've found so far called "Campe" which some guy based on his school. It contains some pretty wierd replacement sound fx including a Bart Simpson taunt.

There maybe other school type .wads now that I have got the discs out but it's a bit of a voyage of (re)discovery going through these old .wads. I've even found a few I can't remember playing before; but there are hundreds of them to look at.

I launched "Campe" out of Doom Legacy, but I assume most source ports will handle it.

I daresay "Campe" isn't the .wad your looking for......... it's actually pretty wierd. Unfortunately I can't upload the zip as an attachment to this post as the wad is over 2mb and the zipped filesize is 1.17mb.:eek:

Let me know if you want it and how can I get it to you.

Manticore
14th Mar 2005, 04:11 PM
Ok, tnx I appreciate it ^_^
Neonite; I tried PM'ing you about this doom .wad but your inbox is full. :eek:

NeoNite
14th Mar 2005, 05:01 PM
Doesn't matter, because campe.wad isn't the one I'm looking for :S

Well, thanks for looking anyway.

Boothill is also quite fun.

Manticore
14th Mar 2005, 08:40 PM
Doesn't matter, because campe.wad isn't the one I'm looking for :S

Well, thanks for looking anyway.

Boothill is also quite fun.
I haven't played boothill for quite some years. Does this attached .jpg ring any bells? (No pun intended on the school theme).

NeoNite
15th Mar 2005, 06:46 AM
No, I'm not looking for those two either :O)
The 2nd one is pretty weird, really. Don't like the retarded storyline.

Anyway, the one I'm (was maybe) looking for is called "bryan highschool doom"2".

Eh, maybe one day I'll bump into someone who still has it.
Thanks again for helping out, Manticore.

Nahand
15th Mar 2005, 02:00 PM
... i have DooM Collector's Edition. Any chance of someone explaining to me just *how* to run custom .WAD's on it? I mean, a single wad is simple with the DooM95 launcher and all, but playing TC's like the Wolfenstein one or the DooM 64, or many others that have multiple .WAD's??? Usually they use a batch file, but the CE version doesn't comply with the old DooM file structure?! (and i have ONLY DooM CE, not the original DOS things)...

Manticore
15th Mar 2005, 04:08 PM
Thanks again for helping out, Manticore.
No problemo......
... i have DooM Collector's Edition. Any chance of someone explaining to me just *how* to run custom .WAD's on it? I mean, a single wad is simple with the DooM95 launcher and all, but playing TC's like the Wolfenstein one or the DooM 64, or many others that have multiple .WAD's??? Usually they use a batch file, but the CE version doesn't comply with the old DooM file structure?! (and i have ONLY DooM CE, not the original DOS things)...
Honestly, I don't know why you don't just pull the game .wads off the disc and use a source port like Doom Legacy.

That being said Legacy won't support embedded folders in that the original game .wads and the custom .wads have to be in the same folder as the launcher and can't be placed in a folder inside that one. Perhaps the CE launcher is the same. Sorry I can't help you much on that one. I use a source port.

ReD_Fist
19th Mar 2005, 10:15 PM
Well I vote for single player,but,I didn't finish doom3 ,just somthing NOT about that game,my hero from ID, quake too.
Carmac should jump over to epic hehe.

I am playing Heretic2 right now,quake2 engine,allways wanted to play that game,seems more addictive than doom3,allthough Doom3 is pretty good,just somthing missing,mabye a game like doom3,with duece Ex ishness,with a tad of halflife2 physics.

Balton
7th Apr 2005, 10:32 AM
Well I vote for single player,but,I didn't finish doom3 ,just somthing NOT about that game,my hero from ID, quake too.
Carmac should jump over to epic hehe.

I am playing Heretic2 right now,quake2 engine,allways wanted to play that game,seems more addictive than doom3,allthough Doom3 is pretty good,just somthing missing,mabye a game like doom3,with duece Ex ishness,with a tad of halflife2 physics.

heretic2 sucks compared to the old heretic1 ;)