earthquake query

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Mambo

Metallica Head
Mar 25, 2000
Melbourne, Australia
ok, i'm not sure if anyone can help (I hope u can:)) but i have this earthquake thing in my map that isn't working properly

firstly - i thought that you could use a timed trigger to trigger an event (earthquake) every so often.

Basically, i have a setup with a lava chamber with the redeemer on a pillar in the middle of a lava pool, and you have to jump across the lava to get it. I wanted the earthquake to go off every 30 or maybe 60 seconds, so that the player trying to get the redeemer may have the possible extra problem of facing the earthquake

BUT - this doesn't seem to work very well. i set up the trigger with delays of 30 seconds, but after the first quake, it took a lot longer for the second, and so on

so i ditched this idea for the time being - if anybody knows how to fix this, please say.

The second option i had was to just let the player trigger the earthquake themselves, which is still ok, but means that everytime sombody goes for the redeemer, the earthquake is set off. anyway, this works, but i can't get the earthquake sound to work properly.

I started off by using a special event, and having the state as play soundeffect. i think this worked, but i don't know how to change the sound level of a triggered sound. How do you do this?

also, i only want the sound to play for 5 seconds - the length of the earthquake, but am not sure how to specify this

should i use a triggeredambient sound? either way, i still cant change the sound volume/radius, and i need them to be really loud because it is an earthquake after all...

please help!

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
timed trigger should work indeed, is it set too initial active ?
and if you are gonna let the player trigger it make sure ther trigger has an retrigger delay, or else its gonna be messy i think

and special events are the way too go for sounds and stuff, cause the real actor triggeredambient sound works like sh1t, doesnt really works
and the prob with specialevents is that you cant adjust the sound;level, so what you do too get more sound, you place more speical evetsn close too eachother, the more, the harder the sound, or if you want it better, you could make a small cube mover inside a wall or under the floor, and then trigger it when the earthquake goes of, and give it the moversound of an earthquake if its on keypoint 1, also messy

and you cant change the soundduration, you need too change it in the file itself then, export the sound, stretch or shrimp it in a soundprogram, and import it in ued again, save it in Mylevel package, and use the sound

ChrisToth.hu

Level Designer
Oct 2, 2000
Atlantis
Yeah, the timed trigger should work fine.

Try using a Stochastic Trigger. It would be more suitable for an earthquake/trap IMHO because it's randomized. You type in a minimum and maximum interval for the trigger and it picks a random number between those intervals each time and triggers your earthquake...