Virtual Memory Error-- Fixed!!!!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Space Cruz

Dec 29, 1999
Baton Rouge, La, USA
Visit site
Well, I was getting ready to leave for my Millenial Swamp Party on the bayou (that's how we do it here in Louisiana!) and couldn't help but give this "Out of VM" error cr*p another go, and God be praised, I've finally gotten UT to work right!!!!!!!!

No guarantees obviously, but here's how I got it to work...

1.)Trash whatever version of UT you've got on now.

2.) Set Virtual Memory to 0 min/max, defrag your hardrive, then set VM to 320 min/max, and restart.

3.) Reinstall UT disks 1 and 2 (I left out the SL3 textures).

4.) Set Game Engine Cache to 64MB or so under the console setting, and you should get over the VM error.

I think the problem is if you install UT with less than optimized VM, it freaks out on some machines and requires a full re-install to take advantage of whatever changes you make subsequently (though I did reinstall a few times for this to work).

Other things I did may help as well (in no specific order)

1.) Close down enough task bar cr*p to get 92-4% system resources open.

2.) Run sysedit.exe and under systemconfig? and set vcache to min=32000/max=32000 (25% of total RAM; 128MB for me-- Thanks PlanetQuake!)

Sorry for the long post and thanks again to all who responded. The game does rock, and I'm eternally grateful.