PDA

View Full Version : mirrored surfaces

bobtheking
18th Jan 2002, 12:42 AM
if i have slime that is translucent+reflective, does it render 2x as many polys? or does it just take the screen and flip it, and translucencise it?

Bot_40
18th Jan 2002, 07:47 AM
It will do the same as just mirror property on it's own - almost double the polygons in view. Translusent just makes it semi-reflective, so that the origional texture on that surface is semi-visible. Don't use mirrors unless you need to and only in areas with 80-90 polygons (and no fog, dynamic light effects etc.)

Seco_In_The_Bushes
18th Jan 2002, 05:34 PM
Setting it to translucent will actualy make it render less polys then with it set to just mirror, because only half of the texture reflets, while the other half just sits there like normal.

Bot_40
18th Jan 2002, 05:55 PM
Errr, no. Try it in the editor. Setting it to translucent actually increases the polys because it has to draw the mirroring surface as well as the surfaces that are in the reflection.
When it's not translucent, the game doesn't draw the mirror surface at all, it doesn't display it, it just shows the reflection. When you set translucent, the surface becomes semi-reflective, so it then draws the reflection, as well as the surface of the mirror.

Also translucent increases the node count too as it has to proccess the nodes that run accross the surface of the mirror which it doesn't otherwise.

bobtheking
18th Jan 2002, 09:03 PM
Seco, if what you said is true, it would render every other polygon in the mirror, but it still renders every single one, just blends it with the mirror texture.

Chrysaor
18th Jan 2002, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Bot_40
Errr, no. Try it in the editor. Setting it to translucent actually increases the polys because it has to draw the mirroring surface as well as the surfaces that are in the reflection.
When it's not translucent, the game doesn't draw the mirror surface at all, it doesn't display it, it just shows the reflection. When you set translucent, the surface becomes semi-reflective, so it then draws the reflection, as well as the surface of the mirror.

Also translucent increases the node count too as it has to proccess the nodes that run accross the surface of the mirror which it doesn't otherwise.

I like it when you and Seco argue :)

Bot_40
19th Jan 2002, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by Chrysaor

I like it when you and Seco argue :)

lol, I prefere to call it debating ;)

Balton
19th Jan 2002, 09:29 AM
I think geforce2 users exprire problems with that effect...
I tried that in one of my maps with water and I got a nice wierd effect that totaly ruined everything. So i had to go with the noraml translucent stuff...

Bot_40
19th Jan 2002, 09:32 AM
I personally get a few problems with mirrored+translucent when I have Detail Textures turned on (which is always :p)
I have a 3D Prophet 4500 with Kyro2.