smax please help

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

MeTHicAL

Mar 5, 2001
alberta
members.nbci.com
I have a Studio Max 3.0 Question.

Every time I start to texture a model using Unwrap UVW, I begin to get a huge file size that I think is related to the modifier stack. I say this because when I collapse the stack, the file size goes back to normal. Do I have to do this all the time?

My model hasn't changed but the file size has gone up from 400k to 3.5 mb since I started using this texture assignment feature.

Is there a way to disable the modifier stack? It's also using up all my RAM, and I'm not savvy enough to really use it to my advantage yet, so I'm always collapsing it.

I tried all different ways to export/import the model so that all that information I don't use will be left behind, but my model comes back all 'clunky' with no texture smoothness.

That's my next question. How can you regain smoothness without exporting DXF and importing back into Max? (preferably so you can keep the texture coordinates) The 'smooth' button doesn't seem to give the quality that importing does, but importing loses the textures.

DeeperShade

Banned
Dec 8, 2000
www.tar-valon.com
Originally posted by MeTHicAL
I have a Studio Max 3.0 Question.

Every time I start to texture a model using Unwrap UVW, I begin to get a huge file size that I think is related to the modifier stack. I say this because when I collapse the stack, the file size goes back to normal. Do I have to do this all the time?

My model hasn't changed but the file size has gone up from 400k to 3.5 mb since I started using this texture assignment feature.

Is there a way to disable the modifier stack? It's also using up all my RAM, and I'm not savvy enough to really use it to my advantage yet, so I'm always collapsing it.

I tried all different ways to export/import the model so that all that information I don't use will be left behind, but my model comes back all 'clunky' with no texture smoothness.

That's my next question. How can you regain smoothness without exporting DXF and importing back into Max? (preferably so you can keep the texture coordinates) The 'smooth' button doesn't seem to give the quality that importing does, but importing loses the textures.

Ok, i just typed this out and you edited the thread and it all dissappeared so ill do it again quickly :)

Dont collapse the stack. Theres no need, really. Yes, file size is bigger but it has SO many advantages... what if you wanted to edit part of the stack.. you will need to at one point...

Check your ctrl alt del to find what progs are draining ram.. 3dsmax is ram intensive but unless your still on 32 meg or summit then it shouldnt be taking all your ram.. im on 64 meg and ive got loads of progs including max open..

I dont know about the dxf.. i dont use that format much..

MeTHicAL

Mar 5, 2001
alberta
members.nbci.com
Thanks, sorry I had some problems with that post so I had to change it.

I still don't understand why I need the texturing history if I only want the texture coordinates to be there. I just go on "what you see is what you get" at this point in my modeling usage, and I save my changes often, so I can't see why the file has to be so big. (TEN TIMES bigger roughly)

MeTHicAL

Mar 5, 2001
alberta
members.nbci.com
Ooh! I think I figured it out on my own. If ya wanna know it's "Save" under the UVW edit button. Then you can import/export and reload the map coordinates.

I believe you have to name the mesh the same as what it was before.

I guess file size didn't get any smaller, but at least I win on the auto smoothness aspect of it.