PDA

View Full Version : CTF-ArcticFighterJets}{

M2K-DiZeaZe
15th Jan 2002, 06:33 PM
CTF-Arctic Fighter Jets }{
By Britton Wesley
410 KB 12-16 Players
Reviewed by DiZeaZe

Arctic Fighter Jets takes on a different type of CTF style. You can now fly to the enemy base in a Quantum Jet. It is just like the Strangelove modification except you can shoot missiles while flying. With 5 new weapons and the jet, is this map really worth it?

Gameplay with the bots is pretty horrible, the bots use the jets but not much and they are shot down easily. The weapons are nice, but the fun seemed to quickly dwindle and fizzle out. One thing that bugged me was that you couldn't grab the flag while in the jet, that would be a nice feature and would make things a bit more exciting and possibly more challenging. You can also go to the enemy base on foot, as 90% of the bots choose to do but it takes a lot longer, which puts more emphasis on using the jets. The new weapons were neat and enjoyable for a short time.

The map you play in is quite basic: Two bases with a central building, where you can get some weaponry if you choose to go on foot. There also two "sky-scrapers" which looked like something out of New York City. Texturing fits the feel and there are no errors to be seen. I must complain that the map is a bit smallish, but it will probably satisfy most.

Arctic Fighter Jets definitely gives a different form of CTF play. Most will enjoy it, while others will hate it and call it lame. It was fun for awhile but got old too quickly, bot play was substandard, but the weapons were nice. You will probably want to play this one for a bit, but it certainly isn't addicting.

Ulukai
22nd Jan 2002, 01:22 PM
Medal of Honour 2 owns meh

MrFawn
22nd Jan 2002, 01:49 PM
MOH is a bloody short game, however I really like the Ohama Beach part.

One thing I really disliked about it was those snipers later in the game, I have no ****ing chance againt them, I have to jump into the death several times to find out where they're shoting from

The game is better than rtcw but not that much :|
NOLF and Deus Ex is still the best SP experience there is IMO

Mxtrmntr
22nd Jan 2002, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by MrFawn

good. ever played Thief? :)

MrFawn
22nd Jan 2002, 05:53 PM
Actually not........not even system shock2(the demo scared me away)

Claw
22nd Jan 2002, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by MrFawn

Deus Ex is kinda kewl :)

NOLF?

Mxtrmntr
23rd Jan 2002, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Claw

Deus Ex is kinda kewl :)

NOLF?

NOLF = No One Lives Forever... great in terms of storytelling / style, you really feel like in some sixties series (The Avengers, etc.), and it's damn funny too :)

UnrealGrrl
23rd Jan 2002, 09:16 AM
yea its not the most fun of the 'jet' maps but not bad, and ppl seem to like it online... definitely one you haveta try at least once :)

Ulukai
23rd Jan 2002, 01:24 PM
IMO System Shock 1 was way better than the sequel in terms of atmosphere and gameplay, but it's looking very dated now.

ps let me pre-empt whoever is about to mention half-life with the declaration that it is a big pile of overated poo-poo

@kuma
23rd Jan 2002, 02:16 PM
people keep telling me how good MOH is but **** me the multiplayer demo is shockingly bad

is the full game really so much better than the demo?

fragswill
23rd Jan 2002, 02:45 PM
It aint shockingly bad.

Ulukai
23rd Jan 2002, 03:14 PM
I can't vouch for the multiplayer, but the SP is better than RTCW. And I can't really fault the atmosphere of MOH either - it's spot on period WWII stuff.

It's no Deus Ex in terms of entertaining storylines, tho'

@kuma
23rd Jan 2002, 03:56 PM
It aint shockingly bad.

yes, it is

I played one game of it and went back to RTCW - it felt horrible & the visuals werent anything to get worked up over

MrFawn
23rd Jan 2002, 06:34 PM
the worst part of MoH is the ****ing slowdowns in the last part of the SP adventure. Pure cpu killing maps, doesnt even help to decrease the resolution, only if u reduce the lod setting so u see *20* poly germans everywhere.

fragswill
23rd Jan 2002, 06:41 PM
Once you "hack" it so you can get a console and turn up some settings it looks good.. as good as rtcw. I thought that one map was kinda fun. I ran around with a sub-machine gun picking off snipers from behind. Sure, the physics are not realistic, but at least you have an idea where the bullets are gonna end up.

jreister
24th Jan 2002, 06:05 AM
What do you think of Operation Flashpoint?

MMAN UGITU
2nd Feb 2002, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by jreister
What do you think of Operation Flashpoint?

It's uber 1337