What do you do when you are 'cold'

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

mobace

rimmerlike :(
Do you have anything you do when you notice yourself playing 'off'? I usually wash my hands, have a glass of water, then try again... as this topic is not off topic you can guess I am talking about UT :rolleyes:

Edit: to be even more clear i mean if you find yourself playing below your normal game what do you do to get focused/in the zone again?

Last edited:

Lily

Biatch
Usually, I become all green, a bit like the incredible hulk, then I scream, shout at my computer for beeing such an utterly worthless piece of plastic, then I smash my bloody keyboard, throw my headphones away and also, sometimes, I do the frag dance.

It doesn't work all too well, mind you :D

Lily

PS: Well, In fact, I do everything I said above (yes, including the incredible hulk thing), then I disconnect from the server, reconnect, and pretend I have not been playing UT at all until then :)

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
I try to relax... you know... wait a couple of minutes... and well if my performance hasn't improved yet, it's just one of those ****ty nights I guess ;)

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
Take an hour break and do something less mentally intense, like watch TV. Vegging out really seems to recharge my cells for some more DM :). If that doesn't work I got to bed. That always solves the problem.

willhaven

bPimp=False
Aug 18, 1999
www.planetunreal.com
for me its either there or it isint

if its a ****ty day... its a ****ty day and id better do something else

because trying to play through a ****ty day will provoke voilence against inanimate objects on my part

ive broken various things from my Unreal days especially...

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Originally posted by willhaven

because trying to play through a ****ty day will provoke voilence against inanimate objects on my part

Yea, that's how it is for me to... If I'm just cold, two games to remember how to play, and I'm owning again... if it takes more then that... it's just one of those days...

I can usually tell before the second game if it is, then I either have to quit, or convince myself that I am just off, and losing it ok right now, 'cause I know on a good day I'd own the ⧧hole that is beating me... that rarely worx, so I usually walk away.

Rukee

Coffee overclocks the overclocker!!
May 15, 2001
Over here!!!
Visit site
I hit F6 in game and usually I got like 20-90% packet loss!!
That tells the story for me. I don`t know why UT is so prone to PL with DSL. :(

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
Somedays are good somedays are bad. That's it.
I guess it has a bit with to do with the inspiration. I have played so much UT and are so used to play, that I play even when I don't enjoy it. It's better to take a break or just accept that this is "one of those days".

Stillborn

PHEAR IS JUST ANOTHER 4 LETTER WORD...
Oct 14, 2000
Sweden
Visit site
When I'm in one of those "badzones" I go play on a Face only server... I happen to like Face very much (for those who didn't know ;) ) and I hardly ever have a bad game on that map. Often when I'm "cold" I have just lost my rhytm and timing and a Face game always seems to get everything back online...

So my advice would be that you play a map that you are really good at or know by heart---> You don't have to think so much and you loosen up and tentions disappear

edhe

..dadhe..
Jun 12, 2000
Scotland
www.clanci.net
When i'm having a bad time, i realise i'm on a modem, with 20-30 fps, playing vs lots of low pingers with (probably) much nicer systems....then i start enjoying my uselessness, complimenting the good players, trying to organise a team, then i get disconnected by BT :D

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Originally posted by [RSU]Stillborn
So my advice would be that you play a map that you are really good at or know by heart

This worx for me sometimes. Very rarely, but playing a game on my favorite map, deck16][, lets me know real quick if I am having one of those bad days. If I lose, I have to walk away, if I barely win, I just need to get warm, and if I win by 10+ (depending on how many newbs are in there) I'm rets to go.

_Zd_Ringi_

Rorschach alike
Sep 14, 2000
De Achterhoek
I'll have a glass of Whisky and a package of popcorn, I start shouting in IRC to my clanmates, have another Whisky, I kick the cat, reconnect, start op UT again, have yet another whisky and I'll try again.

fart2000

did i do that?
Aug 28, 2001
front row center
Visit site
Originally posted by willhaven

ROTFLMAO:D I know what you mean. If i'm not playing particularly well, i'll usually go watch tv for awhile or read something. No use trying to squeeze water from a stone. Some days you just don't have it. :rolleyes:

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
Even though I only play offline these days (too many lamers) I get into a nice slump. I've nearly lost games against freakin Experienced bots. That's how bad I've lost my edge some times.

I either got game that day or I don't. Nothing I do helps. Either way it's still fun.