Boosting performace in UT/INF. (Yeah, I know its been posted a million times before)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Mr. HotDog

[Insert Text Here]
Apr 2, 2001
Visit site
I bought a Radeon 7500 a couple days ago, and I get good frame rates in most games (Ghost Recon, Quake 3, RTCW,... etc) except in UT and INF. In fact, I get horrible fps in UT/INF, I had better using my old TNT2. Here's what I get now (I'm running a 1GHz Athlon w/ 128MB PC-100 SDRAM using Windows ME) :

UT @ 800x600x16 High Detail (D3D): Average fps= 30-50

INF @ 800x600x16 Medium Detail (D3D): Average fps= 15-30 (barely playable at times)

This sucks donkey balls. Why do I get bad fps? What should I do? I tried running UT/INF in OpenGL but that was even worse. Whats does the GL setup program do? And should I install it? (it was on the Extras CD and @ www.glsetup.com) Please help!

Keganator

White as Snow Moderator
Jun 19, 2001
PR's Barracks
www.kegnet.net
Okay, first of all, ignore that OGL setup.

Now, go to http://unreal.epicgames.com/

and download the latest OGL renderer and the latest Direct3d renderer. Try them both, remembering to make backup copies of the previous drivers.

And remember, UT does NOT, repeat, does NOT improve with a better video card, it is waaaay to software dependant for that to be of any help; if you want better performance, go for a better processor.

Mr. HotDog

[Insert Text Here]
Apr 2, 2001
Visit site
Hmmmm...

I downloaded the latest OGL renders, and now I get a new problem. The renders did improve fps. I get an average of 100-150fps, however, when theres special effects (eg: explosions...etc) or when I'm in a fire-fight with another person on scrren, there's pauses, not drops in fps, but pauses. Its a strange sort of lag, i guess. And ideas on how to fix it?

DeadEyeNick

Dec 30, 2000
not enuff ram. I used encounter loads of problems like that during my 128sdram days. :p
[edit]I dunno if this will work but had u tried turning vertical syncing off?[edited]

Camel_Toe(l)

Form Fitting
Mar 19, 2001
Not Toledo!
While this is up: I get (might be the same thing) sound lag in nearly every game I play. Thing is, it doesn't even have to be during a sound/graphic intensive area - it just skips like a cd.

I think it's related to ram, but I have 512 megs pc 133...

any ideas?

GF2 mx400 64 megs
AMD athlon 500
SB compatable soundcard
12 pack of Sam Adams

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Originally posted by Keganator
Okay, first of all, ignore that OGL setup.
That OGL-setup came with Q3A and it 'tried' to find new drivers for your video card.
If you've installed the latest from http://www.ati.com then those should be ok and you can do what Keganator suggests ...

Which is :

Now, go to http://unreal.epicgames.com/

and download the latest OGL renderer and the latest Direct3d renderer. Try them both, remembering to make backup copies of the previous drivers.
Also search the Inf-forums there's a topic about the OpenGl-renderer in UT ...
-- edit --
Found it : http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=81671
enjoy ! :D
-- edit --

And remember, UT does NOT, repeat, does NOT improve with a better video card, it is waaaay to software dependant for that to be of any help; if you want better performance, go for a better processor.
That's funny ... as UT *DID* improve when I got my new video card ...
Then again the performance difference between my old GeForce256 & my new Ati Radeon 8500 should have had some results ;)
CPU/MoBo-replacement is about to be replaced too :)

GreenHell

INF isn't real? since when
May 27, 2001
Visit site
I have to say that your problem is the 12 pack Camel. I have had many sound lag experiances after finishing off a 2X4 of Molson, as well as a bad case of internal head lag. I used to think it was my connection but I discovered one day after watching a buddy go through similiar troubles, that it was the beer. So I think your problem is solved man. The matrix has nothing on the effects produced by alcohol while gaming.