More realistic recoil.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SERIAL_KILLER

Dec 16, 2000
Visit site
In my experience of shooting. I have noticed that when I fire a weapon it will return to the resting position I had it in, but in inf it just stays there....is this likely to be changed in future releases? Its not like I'm worried about it. I'm just out to help with the realism.

RAZZ

aka FURY13RT
I always thought of that as a gameplay issue (more for full auto weapons than handguns)
your supposed to activly correct your weapon as its operating, not just hold the trigger.

latest version of real aim 2 changes how the gun handels in different shooting positions.
seems better to me anyways ;)

McMuffin

The sh¡ttiest Infiltrator
Jul 30, 2000
OR
It might be nice if it auto returned slowly, over 2 seconds or so. Shouldn't return to exactly the same spot though, except maybe when prone.

NTKB

Banned
Aug 25, 2001
New Jersey, U.S.A.
I disagree wholeheartedly. Correcting your aim is an integral part of your skills. It takes practice and time to get to reaim in the game. If it did it automatically it would take a huge part out of the uniqeness of the game. :tdown:

mat69

just fooling around
Dec 9, 2001
Österreich
www.combatmaps.de
Originally posted by {GD}NTKB
I disagree wholeheartedly. Correcting your aim is an integral part of your skills. It takes practice and time to get to reaim in the game. If it did it automatically it would take a huge part out of the uniqeness of the game. :tdown:
Yeah, you're right.
Now it is OK, it is not realistic, but I think so it is ok.

NotBillMurray

It's Suntory Time!
Mar 11, 2001
Please don't. I like it how it is now. As wise NTKB stated it becomes a part of the players INF skills (which is a good thing).

rgreene

frag bait
Oct 16, 2000
Yea, but from what I've read around here it isn't really realistic to spout out 30 rounds and expect to hit something past the first few rounds. Because of this, one would agree that the "skill" of controlling your aim is really aiding to make the game more unrealistic. If you're playing correctly though it doesn't matter as those first few shot hit anyway.

R-Force

(IF)
Nov 21, 2000
Canada, Quebec, Terrebonne
I agree with rgreene, the fact we can control our gun so easily (at least it is easy for some of us but not all), it make full auto (or quick tapping) firing just too good and the right answer for everything (it make you want to pour as much lead as you can in the shortest amount of time, making you want to shoot more instead of seeking cover). In RL, full auto fire is only good for cqb and at range you have so little chance to hit, unless you use a saw or some other dedicated full auto machinegun... Recoil should FORCE you to slow down your rate of fire to keep your gun on target, or to accept that you may have trouble keeping your target lined up...

Well, if we want to keep our control over the recoil, we should make recoil less predictable so any kind of fast firing (unless crouched/prone) result in innaccurate firing (because just steering the gun down would not allow you to keep it fully on target)...

FiringAimlessly

NOT going to waste another minute on CS!
Sep 18, 2001
Maybe if

a) it only began dropping back into its original position if you let go
b) if you've been trying to hold the thing down already all this time (as opposed to just holding fire until you're shooting at the sky) it'll still try to drop below where you first pointed your gun
c) it moved downwards very slowly (AR), or it moved past the mark (pistol)

Right now if you fire off a huge burst with the AK you end up looking very unnatural keeping your weapon up at where it fired the last shot... you'd think that after having the gun pound against your shoulder so many times your arms would normally tire and lower the gun a little...

Aug 12, 2000
Switzerland
I suggested something similar about a year ago: Basically, the rifle would return to horizontal after somwhere between a quarter and half a second. This way, if you fire full auto you still have the effect you have now: The muzzle keeps going up on full auto unless you consciously control it, but you wouldn't have the current unrealistically exaggerated climb of semi-auto fire.
The faster you would shoot, the more it would climb, since you wouldn't be giving it enough time to 'resettle' before the next shot.

As for INF skills, IMO any skill required in INF that isn't paralleled in real life is unrealistic and uneccessary, or we might as well introduce bunnyhopping again. Bringing the muzzle back down after firing is not something you need to do in real life. 'All' you have to do is require the target and fire again. There are better ways to simulate that IMO than that much muzzle climb.

Aug 12, 2000
Switzerland
Yeah, the first time the muzzle came back down on me on the range it confused the hell out of me too. Like that time the apple fell on me while I was sleeping under the tree.

LepraKip

May 13, 2001
When you fire a bullet in INF it seems to weak, the sounds are not like, "BOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!". And the bullets don't do much damage 'cuz you have to hit 2 or 3 before someone dies. Even after one hit the enemy can still walk around like he could before. I can spray a whole mag of an mp5 in the area of man-height with simply moving my mouse down a little while shooting. You should be able to.

Let the recoil be heavier and the sounds louder, more 'BOOOOOOM!!!-like' :)

Kip