D66, question about some certain Rings . . .

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Thrakhath

LunarMancer
Mar 29, 2001
Kanagawa
Ok, so there were three for the Elves, seven for the Dwarfs, and nine for Men (plus the One). Why is it that out of these, only the nine corrupt their owners into serving Sauron? Why are there no Elf and/or Dwarf Ring Wraiths?

Exar Kun [Sith]

Sith Lord
Sep 11, 2001
A Sith Temple
Visit site
Good question Thrakhath, I was wondering that myself. Well one of the elves, the woman elf, that was wearing the rings in the beginning I think was the same one that the fellowship meet in the forest village and went all nuts when talking to Froto and then went back to normal. So I wonder why there aren't any others besides the 9.

Thrakhath

LunarMancer
Mar 29, 2001
Kanagawa
Elves are immortal (you'll notice that Agent Smith was also one of the three given a ring) ;)

Exar Kun [Sith]

Sith Lord
Sep 11, 2001
A Sith Temple
Visit site
Originally posted by Thrakhath
Elves are immortal (you'll notice that Agent Smith was also one of the three given a ring) ;)

I knew elves were immortal, but I didn't notice Agent smith having a ring since the scene was kind of quick. I did know he was there fighting Sauron. Also how do elves give up their immortallity exactlly, I didn't quite understand it. I'm also still wondering about the ring wraiths and why the men were only affected.

Sam_The_Man

I am the Hugh Grant of Thatcherism
Mar 26, 2000
England
Visit site
I knew elves were immortal, but I didn't notice Agent smith having a ring since the scene was kind of quick. I did know he was there fighting Sauron.

Whaaa? Is this some sort of joke I missed? Although the scene was so impressive I wouldn't have been surprised if I'd missed Barney the Dinosaur in the scene.

As for the dwarven rings, they were all lost or destroyed.

Tarantella

Dances with spiders.
Apr 1, 2001
Visit site
The dwarves and elves are resilient to the power of possession by their rings , the elves by their elvishness and the dwarves by their greed for gold.The 9 kings however, desired power over people and then more power, and that enslaved their souls

Or summat like that:)

D66

Grey Pilgrim
Feb 2, 2000
Gondolin
Visit site
OK.
In Fact ALL the rings were made by the Elves at first. When Sauron Forged the one, the elves precieved his plans and took of their rings. After this Sauron Siezed the seven and the nine and distributed them among the Men and Dwarves.
The Dwarves used the rings to gain treasure and gems, And they desired these above all other things. Making it impossible for sauron to corrupt them and controll them directly as wraiths. It is said that at the base of each of the seven hoses of the great Dwarves, there is a golden ring.
There was still the Three. After the war of the last alliance, When it was prcieved that Sauron was defeated, The Elves again felt it safe to use their rings as a way to preserve some of the ancient world in Middle Earth. This is what Elrond and Galadrial were doing in Rivendell and Lothlorien. The third Elven ring was held by Cirdan the shipwright at the Grey Havens. When the Wizards came across the sea, Cirdan, knowing why they were there, gave his Ring to Mithrandir (Gandalf) Who was the second to arrive.
If the 1 is destroied, All the rings were loose their power and all that was done with them would fall into disrepair. THIS is why Elrond said that his people were leaving and why Galadrial said that she would diminish and go into the West. For the elves, They are screwed either way, If Sauron gets the Ring, Middle Earth would be enslaved, If The ring is destroied, Their last homes will decay.

Hope that clears it up

SU3000

Bringer of Fear and 0wnage
Jun 10, 2000
The Netherlands
www.carpeimperium.com
Sauron helped with the forging of the Seven and the Nine, but not the Three. Of the Seven, four were eaten by dragons (including the wearers). The other three he collected (iirc The Hobbit has a part of this story).

For the rest D66 is spot on. :)